Inqtala Lake WIP

Cartographer's Guild has a lite mapping challenge that I decided to give a shot. This month the lite mapping challenge is to map out a campsite. I thought this would be an excellent way to show the adaptation of Shessar's wonderful streams, so I'm setting up a campsite beside a lake. I think this a cool opportunity, because I can continue to make maps for Larysia this way. This may end up being a battle map... or the map for one of my lakes in any of my continents for Larysia.

Obviously, I've just started, and I'm trying something a little different. A lake is a little different than a stream, since you aren't going to have as much in the way of rocks and stuff poking through (although I did add a jumping trout!)

Anyway, I thought you all might like to see what I'm doing this time.... this one will be much more simpler than Ardenvale.

Comments

• VintyriVintyri Newcomer
    Wow! That trout's about ⅓ the size of your trees! I wouldn't want to eat that in a single sitting!
  • lol... actually, once I get the other things in there, you will get a better perspective... that log is actually a branch. Of course, once I get my grass layed, and set up my camp... I may realize I have to go back in and resize them both. I'm keeping that possibility open ;)
  • Well, it looks like a good start. That trout is about salmon sized right now from the looks of things but I'm sure the final piece will come together well. Oh, I wanted to mention something funny to you about rivers.

You know how everyone is always going on about how rivers don't split before they reach the bay/sea/ocean?...

Well...I happen to live in an area where they do exactly that. The Skagit river splits before it goes into the bay.

I think the Skagit river is crazy because it has many tributaries that join up with the river before it leaves the mountains, but before it comes to the bay it splits into two separate rivers and then finally gets to the bay and forms two different delta's...How weird is that!

I'll upload a map. Look at the blue line in the map that leads to Skagit Bay. You can see the split.

And I only live about 4 miles away from the river. but about 14 away from Skagit Bay.
  • I hope you post this in the Cartographer's guild!!! I can't wait to see the 'river police' give you hell about this... only to realize it's a REAL real world map!!!
  • Oh, and as for the fish... My dad caught a trout once that was twice the size of a large salmon. When he held it up, It was almost to his waist! It's REALLY unusual, but it can happen...
  • Yeah, we usually call those Steelhead trout around here. They usually don't get that big until they've been out to the ocean. Then, as they try to get back to the spawning grounds everyone goes fishing for them.

Lol, you must not like the river police very much..haha..I think of it more like a big joke. They are just people trying to make sure that unless there is a reason for it, most rivers should act just like they are trying to say...but....in my case, I live in wonderland...where rivers do what they want. where you can travel for 15 minutes and reach the bay, and turn around and see the mountains. And if you decide to go to said mountains, well, you just need to drive 15 minutes in the other direction! And I'm not talking foothills here either...these are mountains with lots of snow on them!

This is a view from the bay. It will show you how far away from the mountains I am. And yes, it really does look like that around here. It is easy to imagine Dwarves in the mountains and Orcs and Goblins too. And Elves in the forests below...great stuff for mapping!
  • I actually don't have an opinion about the river police. I think it's funny, to tell you the truth. I mean, unless we are creating renderings of Earth (our Earth), we are making maps of FANTASY worlds. These fantasy worlds may be 'M Class Planets', but they are different worlds, NOT EARTH. So there is truly no way to judge what weather, rivers, mountains, or anything would 'naturally' do. I mean, scientists could make an intelligent hypothesis based on what they know of the atmosphere, gravity, techtonic plates and what not, but no one can say for certain how nature will react on a different world. Unless you know how the world works, and the only one that truly knows that... is the creator behind the map.

And who wants a completely realistic world anyway? We LIVE in one of those...and we play these fantasy based games for one reason (no matter what we tell ourselves), to ESCAPE REALITY for while.

So why, then, draw realism into it in the first place?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited April 2016
    Looks like a good start, I'm thinking it will be a nice map when you are done.
    Posted By: LadieStormSo why, then, draw realism into it in the first place?
    Suspension of Disbelief mostly. It is easier to accept and identify with a fantasy world where most features matches our perception of how things should work, and this also make the features that are supposed to be special stand out more and gives them the focus they deserve.
  • Looking good so far LS! I can't wait to see how it progresses.
  • here is the next rendering.... for some reason it looks narrower than the original, and I can't figure it out, because I didn't shorten it. Although I may have inadvertantly extended the left side when I was cleaning it up... anyway...
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    On the subject of rivers splitting, they do that quite often under a very particular set of circumstances (typically in a delta or very flat area where the river is depositing material and the channel moves back and forth and splits rapidly over geologic time), and these circumstances rarely persist for more than a few miles or tens of miles, at most. These systems, called distributaries, are the most common river split and, as with all river splits, are extremely unstable. The problems that the folks at CG regularly encounter is people drawing river systems backwards: dozens of feeders run from the ocean uphill to a single river in the mountains and this happens over sometimes thousands of miles. People have internalized that rivers branch; some people don't understand why the rivers branch, so they draw physically implausible things.

The reason why things like water flowing downhill, mountains occurring in chains, and oceans not floating in the sky are important to most mapping is familiarity. It's this familiarity that allows for suspension of disbelief, as Monsen points out.

A lot of storytellers have said that one of the best ways to instill a sense of wonder is to change just one element and then follow the effects of that change. For example, if it's possible to violate the square/cube relationship of the real world, then things like giants, minis, and flying creatures become possible. (The square cube relationship for items observes that the strength of materials goes up as the second power of the length, while weight goes up as the third power of length, meaning that items get heavier much faster than they get strong enough to hold up the extra weight). If that relationship is held, then flying things will be very weak, large things will be more ponderous as they get larger, and small things won't be particularly intelligent.

Anyway, sorry for the thread hijack.
  • When I export to png, I have 'crop image to aspect ratio' and 'restrict image to map border'. That gets rid of that wide white border.
  • can I do that in cc3+? or do I need a second program? I may see if I can figure out how to do that in paint... since I haven't picked up an image editor yet. I've been thinking about gimp... does anyone have any recommendations?
  • JS, it's cool, I don't mind in the least :), besides, posing questions and things like this is how I learn! You wouldn't believe the type of information I've picked up over the years, just by these types of conversations. In fact.. it's funny, but I just took a 'quiz' because I was curious, the hook was the program was going to guess how much education I'd had based on how I did on this quiz. I scored a 74%... there were a few questions on physics, which I never studied. But it was determined based on my quiz that I 'obviously' had spent some serious time in grad school, and it listed me as having a doctorate.

I finished two years of college, before I dropped out do to failing grades(I was sick a lot my sophomore year) and financial constraints. But I'm an avid reader, and then I have a lot of interests where I start asking questions, like I've done in some of these threads... and I retain the knowledge somewhere in my brain, until I need it.
  • No, its part of CC3+ and CC3. When you export , save as, png, in the lower right of the popup, there is an options button.

Click that options button and set the two I mentioned above. See if that gets rid of that huge white border around your map.
  • I will take a look at that, thanks :)
  • This is really coming along great!
  • So this is the finished map. I've discovered a look that I really like. Lorelei, I'm using your idea for creating the 'map key', which in this case is just naming of the map, with a compass rose on it... but I've noticed that working with Shessar's tutorials on streams and cliffs,I'm going outside the map border. Well, I've started letting what's gone beyond the border to overlap into my map key. It maybe amateurish, but I like the affect, so I'm keeping it :D. Again, this map is complete, so I won't be changing it, but I still want critques, suggestions, and feedback so I can improve on the next map. :)
  • I like it except that in the upper right hand corner, the rocks seem like they are pixellating out. That's a shame because I really like the way you made this. And don't worry about the trees coming down onto your map legend, it is quite charming actually and not really amateurish. You see that kind of thing all the time in many different styles of books.

A game company called Games Workshop is famous for doing things like that and they make professional quality maps and illustrations.
  • Yes, I noticed the pixellating too, but unfortunately, I can't really do anything about that. Or at least, I don't think there is. I think next time I will just use smaller images and just use more of them... wait... upper right hand corner? That's where my lake is. At least the southern tip of it, anyway. You mean upper left hand corner, don't you?
  • Lol, yup. I mean upper left. Seems I'm hopeless. Even with a map I would get lost as I can't seem to remember left and right....Oh, I got it!...I'm a sailor.. There IS no left and right in nautical terms... no wonder I can't remember :P

So the pixellation is on the port side bow!..lol
  • edited April 2016
    my father was a sailor so port and starboard I understand!!! And I'm ambidextrous so I confuse left and right all the time...

And I think this map turned out really nicely, but there is no way it can compete with that animated map. Did you see that?
  • Beautiful work LS!

Unfortunately, some of the art in the CSUAC does not do well when enlarged too much. Not much can be done except to make them smaller and pile them up more.
  • right... which is what I will do next time :)