Open sourcing the rendering engine?

Hello,

While reading other posts about some difficulties we all encounter (to a different level) in the use of CC3, I was wondering if ProFantasy could open-source the file format & rendering engine of CC3. Here are my arguments:

- I think most of the value of ProFantasy software comes from the graphic assets (symbols, textures, effect tuning) and the drawing tools. Those are not part of what I suggest to open-source, so I don't think open-sourcing the rendering engine would decrease the sales figures of ProFantasy
- By itself, the rendering engine is mostly useless, it would only allow to create viewers, which I don't think would harm ProFantasy. Those viewers could be used for virtual tabletop softwares, high resolution exports... Open-sourcing the file format could allow specific editors (creating a general purpose editor that could replace CC3+ would be huge, and clearly not profitable), but most probably specific tools, such as a tool to detect points to near to each other that can create strange lines in a drawing, tool to convert styles from CC3 to CC3+, tools to import external file formats into CC3+...
- This engine could then for free for ProFantasy be ported to 64bits, maybe not for general usage in CC3+, but for instance this port could be used when exporting in high resolution. It could also be stabilized, and extended (for instance, I dislike the way varicolors work now, I think the color composition is too gray, not bright enough. And wouldn't it be nice to have a symbol with several varicolors?)

I know it may require some work before being able to split the rendering engine from the rest of the code, but I think that it could in the end benefit both ProFantasy and its user community. What do other people think of it?

Comments