CD3 hi-res bitmaps (CD3Bitmaps.exe) won't install for Windows 10

Already consulted the following threads:

http://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=3640&page=1#Item_11

http://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=2440&page=1#Item_4

It's basically the same problem:

updating CC3, CC3+, CA3, CD3, DD3, SS1, and SS2 and some of the free software that came with the package...
particularly in this case: CD3Bitmaps.exe
the following error occurs repeatedly:

"Sorry, your previous CD3 installation could not be located.
Please install and run City Designer 3 first."

Running on an ASUS laptop, Windows 10, installing on drive D: as best as possible

I've tried repairing CC3/CC3+ several times, and CD3 and CD3 for CC3+ several times

I've tried running CD3Bitmaps.exe as administrator as well.

Windows 10 is as up to date as possible.

I've set the firewall permissions for the ProFantasy software as high as they go, and I'm runningCD3Bitmaps as an administrator.
No Joy. Still doesn't make a difference. Same error.

Previous people addressing this issue seem to indicate same type of problem, same type of attempts to fix it, don't know about results exactly.

I'm hoping to find a resolution to this issue and will provide feedback.

I appreciate any help that anyone is willing to provide.

Comments

• VintyriVintyri Newcomer
    edited April 2016
    What you're trying to install is for the CC3/CD3 combination only. It has nothing to do with CC3+. Try this:

1. Using "Run as Administrator," open CC3 (not CC3+!)

2. Start making a map with CD3.

3. Close CC3.

4. Don't do anything else before you try the next step.

5. Run CD3Bitmaps.exe again.

Agreed. That might not work. But based upon what you wrote above, it sounds like it could.
  • Thank you for replying so promptly!

I am trying it now...

[Jeopardy theme song plays as the clock ticks the lag away....]

I did as you suggested:

run as admin CC3, built a new CD3 map and saved it, closed CC3

run as admin CD3Bitmaps.exe

No Joy. Same error.

I appreciate the feedback though. Maybe it's closer to a solution? I have no idea.

I'll try rebooting, that's always good for a laugh.
  • Well, there are times rebooting can help. Some places and operating systems I've done this, nothing changed. Other times, it worked.
  • Rebooted...
    Rinse... Repeat.... No Joy... Same error. Sigh.
    I hate breaking into the regedit without sufficient clues where I'm going, but.... lol
  • Vintyri, thanks for the suggestions. They will keep me on track, If I end up in contact with Technical support at some point.

Thank you, btw, JimP. I know that you were one of the original posters from the original threads on the topic(s).
  • I suppose that is my next step, then, JimP. Thank you.
  • Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Traveler
    In CC3+ version of CD3 the high res bit maps are included in the main installer and a don't use a separate installer like CC3 for them. So you could copy the high res bit maps, etc. from CC3+ into CC3 if you have CC3+ and the CC3+ of CD3 installed.

Support ought to be help you with this.
    Posted By: Jay_NOLAIn CC3+ version of CD3 the high res bit maps are included in the main installer and a don't use a separate installer like CC3 for them. So you could copy the high res bit maps, etc. from CC3+ into CC3 if you have CC3+ and the CC3+ of CD3 installed.
    However, that will not add the VH symbols to the catalog file (.FSC). One would have to remake the catalog file to include all 4 resolutions.
    edited April 2016
    Posted By: JennizaI hate breaking into the regedit without sufficient clues where I'm going, but.... lol
    Maybe this will serve as a guide (serial numbers blacked out). It's at:

\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EvolutionComputing\CampaignCartographer3.