Duchy of Knavehampton

This is a duchy in my fantasy kingdom of Eglandia. Knavesport is one of the bigger cities in Eglandia and is the political and economic center of the Duchy. The other cities profit from the rivers, the rich farmland and the bounty the ocean provides on the coasts. The castles along the eastern edge of the map are all connected to themselves by their own road system and are unconnected to the other road systems because the King tries to keep the military separated from the population. In his mind soldiers are a far rougher bunch than normal citizens and the two don't mix well. Every city and town has military representation though.

The College of Adventurous Endeavors is a college for adventurers teaching dungeoneering, monsterology, and other skill sets vital to adventurers. The College is also a great place to get jobs for new and experienced adventurers alike. It has a population of folks around it that support the needs of the College. The same is true of Zigdalf's Academy of Magic and the Arts. The Academy is the place for wizards to learn their craft in the duchy. Faith's Bastion is the religious center of the Duchy and many folks have gathered here in an effort not only to support the Bastion but to help their souls.

Comments

• Wonderful map. I especially like the College of Adventurous Endeavors.
  • I love the background! Very nice map - I especially liked how you combined symbols to create you Castle areas. :-)
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited April 2016
    This looks great, and it brings me back to my early days of D&D! I like the farmland surrounding each settlement and, especially, the names. I'm particularly partial to Lake Gembottom. Gosh, I wonder why it's called that. :-D

I like that you added trees to some of the town/village symbols to help differentiate them. One other option you may want to explore to that end is using the varicolor symbols. For settlements, that typically lets you change the color of the rooftops, though it could depend on the symbol set. Is there no road to Faith's Bastion, though?

One small niggle, maybe consider nudging the scale bar (and compass rose too, I suppose) just a smidge to the left so it doesn't touch the coastline. That's just a very personal preference, though.

I do like your sea monster and ship. They're nicely placed and don't go <*ahem*> overboard on the coast symbols. I also like your text labels and labeling. Everything is clear and easy to read without obscuring the map.

As OldGuy said, it's a wonderful map, and a nice history/backstory to it as well. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • Very nice! I, too like the College Of Adventurous Endeavors! Great idea.
  • edited April 2016
    Really nice map. Dwarves probably want to go swimming in "Lake Gembottom." :D

One question: do the northern rivers flow in or out of the lake? I can't tell from the map.