How do I fix this? Happened three times now!

I don't understand what's happening. I've been trying to post my maps to the show and tell area, and everytime I try I get this:

Some problems were encountered
The file you attempted to upload (Ardenvale2.PNG) was empty.
You are not allowed to upload (Ardenvale2.PNG) the requested file type:

I don't get it. I've created a lot of png files, that I've uploaded here. Why all of a sudden are my png's empty? My fcw's post just fine. Did I mess something up in my settings? I have the antilias on, and I just realized my antilias is set to 0%. I'm assuming this is why my png's are empty? What antilias be set to?

Comments

• wow... looking at that post, you would think I was an imbecile!

That was supposed to be What should antilias be set to?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited April 2016
    Antialias at 0% is not a problem, although it is really useless. I find that around 25% is a reasonable compromise between file size and quality improvements, although even as low as 10% have a noticeable effect.

The files you fail to upload to the forum, have you tried opening them in an image editor on your computer? are they fine there? If not, what is their file size?

And don't forget, you can edit your posts to remove mistakes :)
  • lol... I don't have an image editor yet, I have to download one. This is a brand new laptop, so I don't have all the bells and whistles, yet
  • DkarrDkarr Traveler
    You should still be able to preview the file locally. looking at the file details will also give you the size of the file.
  • I usually post jpegs as I have had problems with pngs. Either too big or what I don't know, after the first couple of times it happened it switched to jpegs and haven't had any problems! That's all it got. Im sure it's NOT helpful in any way, but try it :)
  • I upload PNGs myself.
    I bring the image up in Paint and then resize to 800 pixels and save.
    This normally comes out pretty good.
    At first, my images were "fuzzy" looking because I was doing strait screen captures.
    One I switched to Save as Rectangular PNG (running 6,000 to 8,000), they came out so much better.
    Make sure that when you save your PNG, that you have not symbols in it (such as ' or !).
    It will not upload correctly to the forum.

Hope this helps! :-)
  • Yes... But I have been posting g png's ever since tonnichiwa told me how to resize them so you all could zoom in and see the details. Everything was fine untill I upgraded to Windows 10, and now on my new laptop I'm having the same problem. I create a PNG, and I can see it plain as day, but when I try to upload it, the site says my PNG is empty, and it won't allow the upload. And I have no idea why. Nor do I have any idea how this happened.

I'm concerned that when I go to print out these maps, they won't print...
  • I get that error when my file is too large. I think it has to be under 1.1Meg. At least that is what the posting guidelines say in the stickied thread at the top of the forum.
  • I'm gonna have to try that Charles. I hadn't even thought of that. I was wondering how you always seemed to get bigger pictures on here than I ever could.
  • Hmmmm. I didn't realize this map was that big!! But apparently it is. I just figured out that I have the paint program on my new laptop, and that it can open png's. I may see if I can resize this I to a size the site can handle, then attempt to reload it. I really want everyone to see how I've changed this map. I really think it's turning out well, for me, anyway :).
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    Yep, Paint comes with Windows, like Notepad.

For size guidelines, check out Ralf's sticky post.