Unable to Edit Landmass

Hello all. I'm fairly new to CC3 (using CC3+) and I've been having problem after problem. As mentioned in other threads, this is what I'm working with...

Core i5-4690K @3.5GHz
16GB DDR3-2400
Solid State Hyrbrid Drive
Windows 10
Big Three Installed (CC3+, DD, CD) + SS1.

I also have TUM3 and CC3 (for TUM). Both CC3 and CC3+ were installed as per the support documentation (two separate references).

My most recent issue is that after creating my landmasses and starting work on things like mountains and forests, I notice something I don't like about a coast and suddenly I realize I'm unable to edit landmasses (Using the Default Landmass button + e for edit). I've been able to roll back to a previous save but I've already lost quite a bit of work TWICE because I had to revert to a save from some time ago after realizing I'd lost my ability to edit landmasses. I can upload an example - two different points in a project and yet with one file I am able to edit a coastline and the other I cannot. Hopefully there is something I'm triggering/changing that someone can inform me of.

I've tried this over and over with different zooms for precision, different layers selected, different sheets selected, effects on, effects off, all layers but the coastal layer hidden, all layers thawed, checked and resaved my "Select Method" under options... I cannot edit my landmasses! WTH do I keep doing that does this?

Also, thank you in advance!

Comments

• It looks fractalized to me. Nothing locked in layers. Just manipulate it with node edit and delete node on left side of CC3+. Editing a fractal does take some learning to do. I still mess up on them as I don't use them often.

I would suggest my 'save as a different increment number filename' method before you start.

Coast2_001, save it. Edit a bit, save as Coast2_002, edit a bit, save as Coast2_003, etc.

That way you haven't altered the original. And if the edit time does go past game time, the changes were done by a high level spell caster their characters haven't ecountered yet when you show them the new edited map.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited April 2016
    Except the Edit feature of the drawing tool should work, as it has before. I can reproduce the issue on the maps theparadox1083 provided — I can Edit the landmass on the one map but not on the other. Using LIST on the same landmass in the two different maps appears to yield the same information. At least, it seems to list the same Sheet and Layer info.

Layers are not frozen or hidden.

@theparadox1083, if someone more technically knowledgeable doesn't have an answer for you soon, you may want to go through technical support. If you do that, though, I hope you'll come back to one of your two threads on this topic and let the rest of us know how (or if) it was resolved.

Sorry I can't help.
    ~Dogtag
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited April 2016
    The shallow blue water area and the land mass are one piece on the map that you cannot edit the land mass. I found I could edit the shallow blue water.

On the one you can edit, they are different polygons.

I hid all sheets, but coastline on both maps. And all layers except coast/sea.
  • edited April 2016
    It looks like you have changed the settings on the draw tool in the second map. Try drawing a new landmass and you will sett that it is using the current fillstyle rather than the default fillstyle.

Try changing the draw tool settings back to what they were originally by clicking on the CC3 button on the top button bar.

It is not really a good idea to change the default drawtools, but rather you should create new ones and base them off of copys of the defaults.
  • edited April 2016
    Thank you Shessar - and everyone else who responded - you have lead me in the right direction! I may have edited the draw tool initially (unchecking "Values are percent of map border" box in fractal options, under advanced - draw method). I will try to create a new one in the future instead. However, that doesn't appear to be the cause of my issue - I made the changes initially but did't (knowingly) edit anything after. It seems that using Schley's symbols changed the default landmass to the Schley style which, as you say, when changed back to the default "Overland CC3" style started to work again. Thank you!
  • This is interesting. Typically, you can't access a draw tool from another style, or if you do you would get the 'no matching draw tool' error.

However, CC3+ allows you to do so via the symbol catalogs but breaks the default draw tool(s). This is something to keep an eye out for. I know it frustrated the heck out of you, but it is actually helpful when someone finds a glitch that we need to look out for and/or work around. :)
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: ShessarTypically, you can't access a draw tool from another style, or if you do you would get the 'no matching draw tool' error.
    On the contrary actually, that's quite easy actually, just change the map style in the drawing properties dialog. Most overland styles contains basic tools of identical names, so all buttons would work normally. The 'no matching draw tool' typically happens if you end up with a dungeon style on an overland map or any other such combination. The main issue is that the drawing tools do not work as expected, because the relevant fill style is not defined in the map, so the tools generally gives boring solid fills in weird colors instead of the expected raster fill.
  • edited April 2016
    Posted By: MonsenOn the contrary actually, that's quite easy actually, just change the map style in the drawing properties dialog. Most overland styles contains basic tools of identical names, so all buttons would work normally.

Thanks Monsen! You always manage to teach me something new (and correct me when I misunderstand something.)