Hallanicus WIP

Hello everyone

The Cartographer's Guild is turning 10 this month and they have decided to have a huge map made by anyone who wants to join in. So I threw my hat in the ring with my Kingdom of Hallanicus. I'm representing the Campaign Cartographer crowd by using cc3+ and the Mike Schley style (because it comes standard with cc3+) and because I really like the style.

Anyway, here is my Work In Progress map for it. Hopefully this site will allow me to upload it to a size you guys can see it in. Here goes.

Comments

• Coming along nicely!! However, i can't see too much detail when i zoom in, its too pixelated. I was going to enter a map, but i have gotten sooooo wrapped up in my campaign writing and battlemaps that id never have the time! Glad someone using this program did! Good luck and keep up up to date on your progress :)
  • I was afraid of that. And I'm wondering why the site didn't just put it up as a picture instead of a downloadable PNG. weird.
  • If you change Cartographer's to Cartographers, the image will show up in the thread itself.

I looks great so far, I am looking forward to seeing how it develops.

I love seeing the process.
  • Ooh! I'm currently working on a map in that style... My Aeterna: land of the slumberi g gods....maybe I will
    I'll help you represent, if I get it finished in time :)

I will have to take a look at yours tomorrow when I can get online... I can't open it on my phone.
  • Which thread at the guild do I look at?
  • 9 days later
  • edited April 2016
    Ok, here is the latest WIP on Hallanicus. I actually think I am going to call this one done. I know I haven't named the rivers and I probably should but I'm being lazy

Cartographers%20Guild%20Birthday%20World%20Map.png
  • I think this came out great! I'm a bit jealous i didn't have the time to work on a map for this. Good job! I can't wait to see the finished world map, its going to be amazing!
  • Thanks Lorelei, you know, it is still going on, you can enter still if you want to. I think there are still some countries, cities, dungeons left. I can't wait to see the world map either. It should look fantastic! So my country is sort of a mix between ancient Greece and dark ages Vikings, yet they all share a love of cheese. If you follow along with some of the threads there was a great cheese war. J.Edward and I have a peace treaty called the "peace of cheese"....yeah, I know...it's pretty bad....but he went and made a symbol for it so I made it into a PNG and used it in this map. It is the symbol on the flag of the great big white building.

A lot of my larger areas are also named after different cheeses from around the world. Silly, but its a lot of fun.
  • Fun stuff, and yes, i actually think i may have read through a post or two about the cheese war so i just zoomed in on the map again and see the flag symbol. VERY funny. I would love to, but i am starting a new job in a week and have been putting my map making and campaign on hold after this last map for my buddy. I've got a policy and procedure manual 5 inches thick to read through. My brain will explode. See you all in a week or so....if i am still sane and not crosseyed!! XD
  • Wow! well I guess we will see you in a week then (even if you can't see us because of your crossed eye condition :P ) Good luck on that manual and congratulations on the new job!
  • Tonnichiwa, this is fantastic! I especially love the complex mountain range! Cheese war, huh? It's good to know that even the 'serious' cartographers can get silly sometimes! Great job!!!
  • Thanks Ladiestorm. I think it will look pretty good on the greater world map they have going on over there. Haha, yeah, they can be pretty funny sometimes. They call it the "Fromage" war. Lots of politicking going on. For instance, one guy made his country inhabited by hobbits, another by giant sentient dinosaurs, and JSlayton made his an alien that just happened to find the planet, mess with an area of the planet with his technology, realize how far advanced he is compared to everyone else, and lose his mind and set himself up as a god on the world.

My country is full of Dwarves and Humans that found a Minotaur culture and befriended them. They use the Minotaurs as warriors that protect the rest of the nation from invasion when other countries come to steal our cheese. The funny existential problem of my country is that the cows that produce the dairy products for my country are farmed by these same Minotaurs. It's sort of like humans and monkeys. Two different species so closely linked that it causes serious questions of religion for my Minotaur allies.

And my country trades its cheeses with the halflings for their wonderful pipeweed, and wars with other countries that are cheese haters.

Anyway, enough of that. It can get pretty silly.
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    The "pipeweed" makes your people quite mellow, no doubt. And it would also be important to the production of some of the more popular smoked cheeses.

The terraformer-thing was due to an accident of geography that caused the entire center of the main continent to be uninhabitably dry and hot to "normal" races. So it was keep everything underground or go with an obligate waterphobe that enforced the no-pass zone. It also a chance to work in elements of the devilgrass apocalypse and touch on what would happen if an AI learned to leverage non-standard local conditions to become self-augmenting.

It's been fun to watch the Hallanicus map develop. I'm still not sure about the low contrast between the text and the background (a small light-colored glow might help it stand out a little, especially at reduced size), but it's mostly pretty readable.
  • Thanks JSlayton, I've been wondering about that myself. I've tried different levels of outer glow in white and a few other colors on the lettering and the strange thing is, nothing seems to look right. I just can't get the lettering to stand out and look good. It can stand out, or it can look good, but I can't seem to get it to do both. I'll keep trying though.

It's great to see your land develop too. I may have to come over there with some wonderful cheese choices and see what happens to your God when he tries them :P
  • Hey Tonnichiwa... Have you tried an inner glow? Use the glow effect, but instead of checking outside, put a check on the inside. And don't choose white... Pick a lighter version of the same color.

That might get your text to stand out .more, but still look good. I used to do that years ago with paint shop pro, back when I was making HTML avatars..
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    I need to see if there is a way to disable antialiasing and ClearType for just one program. Effects on text don't look quite as good if those are enabled (random pixels between the text and effect that don't seem correct happen when antialiasing is on).