Great Wall

Greetings! So I have been working on my game world for literally years and I'm headed toward the finish line (yeah, I'll always be tinkering with it, but that's okay too). The most recent hold up has been the need to create a great wall. The elves in my campaign world prefer to keep the orcs out and the elves well secluded and protected.

I posted here a while back and was offered several good suggestions, though none of them panned out. The wall is quite extensive, so I opted for a symbol catalog that would do the trick. So, I dusted off my geometry skills and set to work at creating a symbol set and have succeeded. I may expand it at some point but thought I'd share a view of the results.

There is just one oddity, I'm not sure why the catalog appears dark in the symbol bar? Anyone know? This is what I'm using the for the stone fills:

#Bitmaps\Tiles\Dungeon\Annual Jon Roberts\Stone_brown_light_HI.PNG Dungeon Brown Light
#Bitmaps\Tiles\Dungeon\Annual Jon Roberts\Stone_grey_light_HI.PNG Dungeon Grey Light

Cheers,
Rich

Comments

• Nice work. Sorry I don't have any help on the dark symbols in the symbol bar.
  • Wow, thats really cool!

My only suggestion for the darker color on the symbols in the catalog would be check to make sure the png's you made them into had a clear background. If it isn' t that then I don't know what it would be.
  • Nice! Not sure how to fix the issue you are having though. :-)
  • nice new mapelements :)

placing these wallelemtens seems to be lot of work :)
  • Great idea! This would be a wonderful addition to the next annual.
  • DkarrDkarr Traveler
    I love this idea of isometric geomorphs.
  • These are really cool! I like the look. I'm no where near experienced enough to fix your darkness issue.

Just a side note on the map...did you intend to put this fabulous wall down on top of your trees?
  • Oh! And have you thought about setting g up a varicolor for these? Just a thought :)
  • Posted By: Vastinnice new mapelements :)

placing these wallelemtens seems to be lot of work :)
    It's actually not too bad. Besides I enjoy mapping quite a bit. It's a bit like knitting... you get a nice sweater at the end. :)
  • Posted By: OldGuyGreat idea! This would be a wonderful addition to the next annual.
    I was kind of wondering how stuff is selected for an annual. :)
  • Posted By: LadieStormThese are really cool! I like the look. I'm no where near experienced enough to fix your darkness issue.

Just a side note on the map...did you intend to put this fabulous wall down on top of your trees?
    Nah. I'll post a shot of what it looks like with trees arranged in a little while. Work in progress atm. :)
  • Here's a couple of shots with the trees arranged:

Shot with coned towers.

• edited April 2016
    Wow I like it.
    But the the river seems to go under he wall.(last picture)

Have you made some gates?
  • Posted By: VastinWow I like it.
    But the the river seems to go under he wall.(last picture)

Have you made some gates?
    Yeah, I know. Still tinkering and adjusting terrain. I hadn't planned on making gates to be honest. I have some ideas for additional symbols though so I might play with the idea.
  • For the river "problem" you could create some wall pieces with a drain (i found no better word ;) )
    Like in Lord of the Ringe the Wall blasted away by the urukhai.

Excuse me english is not my mother tongue.
  • I think the word you're looking for is culvert. That would make for a more.detailed, more realistic looking wall. And I like the gate.idea... I mean, the elves have to be able to get.in and out, right?
  • Hi Wizard! Great work! Is it possible for us to also use or purchase your wall catalog? In my game I actually have a wall too. I have been using a square stone keep laid next to each other as my "Attican Wall".
  • HI All,

I'm not really planning to make culverts or gates or tiny details as they wouldn't be visible except on an extreme zoom in. The wall symbols are intended for large scale overland maps. It would be like looking for a culvert in the Great Wall of China from space. The pics I posted are zoomed way in and the map is in a draft state. When I'm done, there won't be a river under the wall. I am planning on making addition symbols though and would rather focus on that. I might take a stab at other shapes (curved, octagonal, etc.), but am focused right now on getting my game world maps completed. The world map is actually incredibly beautiful. :)
    Posted By: FarsightX3Hi Wizard! Great work! Is it possible for us to also use or purchase your wall catalog? In my game I actually have a wall too. I have been using a square stone keep laid next to each other as my "Attican Wall".
    I know exactly what you mean. I tried a maddening number of options and they all looked bad or were too hard to implement. Do you have Jon Roberts Annuals installed?
  • Just thought you all might want to know that the source maps castles has a 3d wall that can be used for a great wall on an isometric style map, which most of our overland maps are.

Here is a badly made one by me that took almost no time but I thought I would share, though it is probably too small to really see much.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    That's amazing work, AWizardInDallas. It seems your catalog would readily lend itself to making "connecting symbols." Have you considered that at all? The November issue of the 2007 Cartographer's Annual (Vol 1) explained creating connecting symbols at length. The Tome of Ultimate Mapping also explains it on pp. 102-103. And, if you don't have any of those resources, the online help actually does a good job explaining how to create connecting symbols.

Just a thought. Your symbols look fantastic and the maps look really nice (Jon Roberts overland?).

Thanks for letting us see your stuff!
    ~Dogtag
  • Posted By: tonnichiwaJust thought you all might want to know that the source maps castles has a 3d wall that can be used for a great wall on an isometric style map, which most of our overland maps are.

Here is a badly made one by me that took almost no time but I thought I would share, though it is probably too small to really see much.
      I saw these, but the symbols don't match the Jon Roberts style I'm using. They look very thorny and jagged and flat gray. I'm using a bitmap fill to create a stony look that matches well with the style of the map.
    • Posted By: DogtagThat's amazing work, AWizardInDallas. It seems your catalog would readily lend itself to making "connecting symbols." Have you considered that at all? TheNovember issueof the 2007 Cartographer's Annual (Vol 1) explained creating connecting symbols at length. TheTome of Ultimate Mappingalso explains it on pp. 102-103. And, if you don't have any of those resources, the online help actually does a good job explaining how to create connecting symbols.

Just a thought. Your symbols look fantastic and the maps look really nice (Jon Roberts overland?).

Thanks for letting us see your stuff!
      ~Dogtag
      Now that's a good mention! I'll have a look! It does take a while to piece a wall together since the "Origin" doesn't match the edge of wall pieces. Yes, Jon Roberts overland. Been tooling my map for years now. Started in CC2 and had to start over when CC3 came out. :)
    • Pardon my ignorance... What do you mean by connecting symbols?
    • Instead of placing multiple symbols for a wall, you place the start of the connecting symbols, and then place the end. The software then places a wall that distance.
      edited April 2016
      @Ladiestorm - You place connecting symbols similar to the way you use the corridor tool in DD3. Each click places a line of symbols between the clicks to make a "continuous" symbol. If you change direction between clicks, CC3 places the appropriate corner symbols to make the turn. They were originally designed to place conduits in Cosmographer but have since evolved so they can be used to make rivers, walls, roads, or anything else that's long and winding. Not many built into the symbol catalogues right now but there are instructions (as I noted above) for making your own. Check out the references I provided above. You may find them interesting.

~Dogtag
    • That's really cool! How do you know whether you are using a connecting symbol? Actually, that's part of one of the manuals, or the Tome, isn't it? I will figure it out when I get there, and if I don't, I will come back and ask again :)
      Connecting symbols are mostly in Cosmographer. Other than the November 2007 issue of the Annual (CA11), I don't know if any of the annuals use them either. Connecting symbols are identified by a small "C" in the upper-right corner of their catalogue entry.
    • well, since I don't have cosmographer... that let's me out! lol