Display Resolution in CC3+ on 3840x2160 Screen

I just got a laptop with screen resolution of 3840 X 2160. While CC3 displays normally (sort of), CC3+ displays with the icons so tiny on the bars, I can't even identify them. Is there some way to go into the settings and change the display in CC3+. So far I haven't even been able to figure out a practical work around for this issue.

Thanks!

Comments

• DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited March 2016
    Have you tried showing large toolbar buttons. It's a new feature in CC3+.

To display large toolbar buttons in CC3+:
    1. Click the Tools button. It's the small button with the hammer icon at the bottom of the screen, after the command line and next to the Grid button.
      The Select Screen Tools dialog box displays.
    2. Select (check) the Use large toolbar buttons checkbox, and then click OK.
      The dialog box closes.
    3. Close and then reopen CC3+.
    I hope that helps.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    ProFantasy knows about this issue and is working on it. Unfortunately, there is no good workaround right now other than change the resolution of your screen. If you change it temporarily to 1920x1080, most things should display normally (also in other software, as this resolution will use 4 screen pixels for each pixel, which since it matches up mathematically, should work fine without significant blur/fuzzyness)
  • Dogtag,

Thanks for your response. You are always very helpful on the forum. Unfortunately, changing the screen resolution doesn't help at all (I tried). The frames or windows don't align and the tool bar icons are nano-sized :). They look like the tools you would need if you were trying to draw a world map on the head of a pin. CC3 does not seem to have this problem. I have been waiting since Christmas (when I got the laptop) for a fix, but today I thought I would seek help on the forum.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Changing resolution works fine for me, but make sure that
    - You change the actual resolution and not the zoom factor (Windows 10 hides the resolution away, under advanced settings)
    - You log out and back in. Windows still struggles with applying resolution/zoom changes on the fly (Even modern MS software like Office 2016 struggles with this, I can give you some nice screenshots of how powerpoint behaves when disconnecting from a projector for instance [Hint: Microsope required])
  • Dogtag,

You are the best. I am both happy and embarrassed now. Happy because it works. Embarrassed because I thought I had restarted my computer but I must not have. It's not a perfect situation but it has made map-making possible in CC3+ which is what I wanted.

Thank you for taking the time to help me resolve this!

Cheers,
    Kathleen
  • 2 months later
  • edited June 2016
    Ugh, such high hopes for this thread.

Monsen,
    Any idea when/if some improvements will come along for UHD resolution on a smaller screen with the CC3+ suite? Just bought the initial 3 but finding it extremely difficult to navigate effectively given the tiny icons/text on the navigation menu. Even with display settings fonts turned up, resolution changed, and big icons turned on in CC3+ it's still pretty hard to see/distinguish specific icons.

This is still pretty much what my screen looks like. And if this was a 40" or bigger screen may not be an issue, but I'm working on a 17" UHD laptop screen. (Edit: Nevermind, pulled picture, it was waaaaaaaaay to big... Picture was displaying larger than my actual screen size.

Will try to make it work by attaching a 2nd monitor with small)er native res, but definitely going to consider that return policy based on outcome.
  • I've made maps using a 39 inch tv. Had no problems seeing the icons nor seeing the symbols. But note that curently CC3/CC3+ are 32-bit programs and only use 2 gigs of ram, and not the video card/chip.
  • rexalan60rexalan60 Newcomer
    Okay, so I made the tool bar buttons smaller. How do I make the symbol catalog buttons smaller and line up in one column instead of two? Or is that not possible with CC3+. More and more, I think I was using just CC3 before i u-installed in an effort to load Mappa Harnica tools for CC2.
  • Click on options. Just above the symbols shown to the left of the mapping area. There you will see columns, height of symbols and width of symbols, and various other options.