My first map: The Town of Barrowdell

This is my first-ever CC map! Check out Barrowdell Town, which will serve as the base adventure town for my RPG campaign group. And yes, it took me "a while" (ahem!) to make it :-)

Barrowdell Town

Comments welcome!

- Alan -

Comments

• Nice mix of styles & an excellent result.

Well done!
  • I really like your map. Many maps are done in a consistent style that makes for a very aesthetically-pleasing map. While I'm not saying yours isn't artistic, it uses a variety of symbol styles that is much more realistic for an actual city. It reflects the architectural chaos that is present in every city.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    A very nice map. It looks very crowded, just like a real city.
  • Thank you! Yes, I was trying to make it look crowded, and also to give each neighborhood its own distinctive appearance based on its age and economic condition. Tanner's Court (which would smell bad, of course -- medieval tanneries stink horribly) and Littlebridge are poor areas, so they have numerous small, dark houses packed close together. Cenotaph Hill and the Market Quarter are comparatively affluent, so the buildings are larger and visually brighter; and of course that's where you find all the fountains and courtyards and garden space. The Canal District is dominated by large, similar-looking warehouses with fenced yards for storage, just like a real port. And finally, the Old Town is still oriented within the footprint of its original walls and towers, back from when the town was smaller.
  • Very nice. I particularly like the crenelations on the castle. Can I ask how you achieved that affect?
  • I wish I could take credit for the castle's crenelations :-) but CD3 includes a huge set of symbols, and this castle is one of them. It's called "CD 3C Castle a". I just modified it to remove the drawbridge, since my town has no moat.
  • Very nicely done, especially for a first map! :)
  • not to bad of a mix between the vector and bitmap stuff and really nicely done.

One of the smallest 'annoyances' about CD3 was the lack of Bitmap Castles, Towers and Bridges.. which would have made this look even better I think. But still great work :)
  • Ah well, I should look through those symbol catalogs more thoroughly. :-)

I'm trying to make a drawing tool that layers a solid line over a thicker dashed line for a similar effect, but it doesn't look nearly as nice as the symbol. Not yet, anyway ... maybe it would be easier to modify the CD3 symbols until I get what I want.
  • 25 days later
  • edited December 2008
    I really like the layout of this town. I also like the many little places you have labeled, it makes Barrowdell look like it is jam packed with adventure. :)

The only suggestion I can offer is to fill that white space with some nice green country side.

>Very nice. I particularly like the crenelations on the castle. Can I ask how you achieved that affect?

As for the castle you can make them with the Castles addon, but I don't know if it works with CC3. From what I have read, it works with CC2 Pro so I guess you could export what ever you make as a bitmap and import it into CC3.