Installing on multiple computers

Hey Everyone!

I purchased cc3+ about a month ago, and I am thoroughly enjoying it so far... I love the ability to map my campaign worlds! Here is my issue...

I don't have internet at home, so when I bought cc3+ I downloaded and installed it on my laptop. Which is fine, because I can take my stuff with me and work on it practically anywhere... But my home computer has a bigger screen, so I would have a bigger physical work area on my desktop. Plus, my husband, now that he's seen what cc3+ can do, wants to be able to make his own maps, too. So I copied the downloaded files from my laptop onto my flash drive(32g so there's enough room) and attempted to transfer them and install them onto the main computer... Only to get an error message that the file is either corrupt, or needs a password.

I took the file straight from. My downloads on my laptop... And I have had to do a reinstall once on my laptop, using the same downloaded file, and it worked just fine. So my question is this... Are we only allowed one install per download?

Comments

• From what I understand you are allowed to install the program on either 3 laptops as long as they all call the same residence as home, or 1 desktop.
  • But I can't install on one desktop and one laptop? That's strange... Why would they do that?
  • One of the Profantasy folks would have the newest info.
  • There must be some other issue. I've got Apple computers (laptop and desktop) and I have been playing with running CC3+ in Wine, in Windows 10 using Vmware, and in Windows 7 on Bootcamp on my iMac to find out where I get the best performance. I have basically installed the app 3 times on two computers (although only using it once at any given time). I've not gotten any sort of error or anything like that.
  • All I k is is... I was able to install the program on my laptop. I then copied the files to my flash drive, so I could install on my main computer at home, but it says either the file is corrupted, or I need a password. So as a test, I attempted to install from my flash drive onto my son's computer. It installed, no problem. I did have an issue with the update, though...it can't find cc3+, even when I manually put in the location.....
  • edited March 2016
    According to the current license listed HERE:
    "You may install a copy of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT on up to three personal computers (PCs) at one address (including laptops normally kept at that address) for non-concurrent (not used simultaneously on more than 1 PC) and non-commercial use. Alternatively you may install a copy of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT on a single personal computer for commercial use. Any use of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT for profit or by any business constitutes commercial use. Any use of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT by recognized academic or charitable institutions constitutes non-commercial use."

As for your problem copying the install file to a different system...

What operating system are you copying from/to? Newer operating systems sometimes change a files properties to 'read only' when copied from a usb device. Try right clicking on the install file and unchecking read only if it is checked.

Edit to add: Also, if it wants a password and you are running under an Admin account on the PC have you tried entering the admin password?
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    Also, if installing on a Windows system, it's always best to right-click ProFantasy installation files and select Run as Administrator from the pop-up menu. That might also ask for an administrator password but it will ensure the software is installed correctly. Any such administrator password is for your operating system, not the ProFantasy software.

~Dogtag
  • My PC has Windows 7, the two laptops have Windows 8(or 8.1). I will try the run as admin.
  • Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Traveler
    Also, what wasn't mentioned additional to right clicking and running as an Admin 2 other things crop up if your installing on a version of Windows with Windows.

The fonts may get installed correctly and don't show up.

The installer hangs.

For the font issue see this thread and read the posts I made:

http://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=4325&page=1#Item_7

If the installer hangs or freezes turn of your anti-virus program when doing the install as that is usually the cause of it.
  • Thanks, I will keep that in mind, but the problem isn't that it's freezing up, the issue I'm having is that it won't allow me to install on my PC. I get an error message stating g that either the file is corrupt, or I need a password. Yet I can take the same file, and install it on my son's laptop. And I currently have no internet at home, so no need for virus protection.

I make it halfway through the install aware wizard when the error message occurs. I just tried to run as administrator, and the same thing g happens. It may have something to do with my first installation being on my laptop, which I had to do so I could have internet access while I work. This is so frustrating, because for some reason I can't install the update on my son's computer. The update can't find cc3+ even when I type in the correct path for it.
  • Oh... the password is checked via the Internet when you install. You will need to contact Ralf to get an off-line code to use. Well, I'm not exactly sure what it is, other than you have to contact Ralf and he will explain how to install when no Internet is avalable. Or Simon will. I'm not sure who deals with that.
  • That's really strange... I installed the program on my son's laptop when it was at home without internet, and it installed. I even installed it the first time once I got home with no internet. I do have internet on my phone, so I was able to get through the validation process... But I'm not.even getting that far...
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    That sounds like a corrupted installation cache with Windows. Contact me at ralf@profantasy.com with what setup exactly is failing and I'll provide an alternative download.
  • sent, and thanks so much for your help!