Cosmographer 3+ ... Any time soon?

For a long time now it has been a weekly ritual to check for an update to Cosmographer 3 or some news as to when it may be available. Alas, there is not much information on that front. Is there an expected time frame for the 3+ update?

Comments

• 7 days later
  • Anyone have an idea when Cosmographer 3+ may be available?
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Sorry, we don't have a date yet.
  • 4 months later
  • Sorry for the thread necromancy, but it has been several months and instead of starting a new thread for the same question, I figured it better to simply bump this one.

So, has there been any movement on the Cosmographer 3+ update? Like soon, sometime this year, next year, or too far out to speculate?

Many thanks.
  • 11 days later
  • I'm just going to assume if we follow the blog and the newsletter that we will know about when Cosmographer is being worked on, and monitoring those will be the best way to know details of the release of COS3+. That said, I too am eagerly awaiting it.
  • We typically find out here when something has been released. Profantasy is very good at letting us know.
  • 1 month later
  • A Roadmap to release might be good. If the expected date is not too far out, then I'm happy to wait. However, if it's going to be a long while, then I'll have to bite the bullet and install CC3. :(
  • 1 month later
  • I'm also very interested in an update on Cosmographer 3. I deleted my CC3 and removed it from my list of products and I can't install it on 3+. I started running a Traveller game for my boys and could really use this tool.
  • Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Traveler
    edited October 2016
    Wasn't there a post in a thread not that long ago that said it was being worked on currently. I could have swore I read somewhere on the forum that was what was going to get updated next.
  • I am pretty sure they are working on it now. I saw in a thread about converting the CC3 annuals that those conversions were next after Cosmographer but there was no time frame given.
  • 15 days later
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited October 2016
    I'm making a deck plan with Cosmo 3 beta for CC3Plus. I have to reduce chairs to 0.5 so they fit. CosA Thruster Drive 52x39 to 0.25, instead of 1.0, so it would fit in the ship.

Internal lift, scale 0.1 to fit. 1.0 is too big.

Snap doesn't match the template grid. Slightly off to the right and up on the deckplan. Not by much though.

Using Cosmographer Deckplans, Traveller. Beowulf.

I'll post a png export when its more complete. I have installed the Dundjinni symbols yet. It wont be a complete ship as its just a test deckplan.
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited October 2016
    The large object in the cargo hold is at scale 1.0, the rest are at 0.5 or smaller. I'll attach the fcw to. I made the png export larger than it defaulted.
  • Template did most of it. I hope to get all of your symbols onto this computer today... well, hopefully today.

Mark, I was wondering if I can just copy the symbols and mnu files from one hard drive to another ? Or will that cause problems ?
  • Posted By: JimPMark, I was wondering if I can just copy the symbols and mnu files from one hard drive to another ? Or will that cause problems ?
    Greetings, Jim!

Everything of ours ... just like everything of ProFantasy's ... has to be in (Data Folders)\Profantasy\CC3Plus. I don't know what one has to do to change the location of (Data Folders)\Profantasy\CC3Plus. Joe Slayton probably could tell you. Perhaps Remy or Ralf too. My guess, and it could be totally wrong, is that the answer is in:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Evolution Computing\CampaignCartographer3Plus

There's a key there named "Bookmark File." It points to:

(Data Folders)\Profantasy\CC3Plus\BOOKMARK.BRM

For example:

C:\Program Data\Profantasy\CC3Plus\BOOKMARK.BRM

It could be that changing that path would re-identify the location of the data folders for CC3+. There is, by the way, no visible file there named BOOKMARK.BRM. However, Joe might laugh and tell me I'm all wet on that one.

In any case, if you change the identification of the Data Folders location, you would have to move the complete data folders to the new drive.

Once there, things should work. The add-ons from the Vintyri Project, like ProFantasy products, use no hard definitions of the data location but instead use @ character to represent (Data Folders)\Profantasy\CC3Plus. (In CC3 it was the # character.)
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited October 2016
    Posted By: VintyriMy guess, and it could be totally wrong, is that the answer is in:
    Yep, it is totally wrong :)

The location of the data folder is found in the file @.ini, found in your CC3+ installation directory (Which always is found in C:\program files (x86)\ProFantasy\CC3Plus) [Program files may be localized to your language, and the x86 part isn't present on 32-bit versions of windows]

Note that nothing in the data folders refer to this location, so if you have the files in your data folder on your old computer, then yes, you can simply copy it to the data folder on your new computer, even if they are in different location. Watch the menu files though, since they are modified by add-ons, just copying them over may cause problems if you had more add-ons on the destination than the source. Generally copying over resources (symbols, fills, etc) like this is fine, but I would be careful with menus.

In a related comment, the bookmark file is a little used function of CCx, but it can be quite usefull, as you can define a bookmark file filled with links to various maps for quick access. There are buttons for bookmarks, next bookmark, and previous bookmark on the main CC3 toolbar.
  • VintyriVintyri Newcomer
    edited October 2016
    Posted By: Monsen>Yep, it is totally wrong :)

Don't say I didn't warn you!

The location of the data folder is found in the file @.ini, found in your CC3+ installation directory (Which always is found in C:\program files (x86)\ProFantasy\CC3Plus) [Program files may be localized to your language, and the x86 part isn't present on 32-bit versions of windows]
    If I understand you right, you can switch locations then by changing the content of @.ini. Is that right?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Yes. You obviously need to copy/move the files from the old location to the new, as there are quite a few files in the data directory that CC3+ needs. You could theoretically have a separate data directory for testing and such, so you don't have to mess with your "live" one.
  • I have the same data folders on my hard drives, so that shouldn't be a problem. it worked for the ones I installed on my computer. I had forgotten not all symbols were installed to be copied over. Taking care of that this evening. I hate it when a computer fails, but I'm still under the amount of time I figured it would take to reinstall everything.

Note that the only items I'm copying over manually are the DJ and Vintyri symbols and menus. The Profantasy items are all being installed via the installer programs they came with.