CC3 Crashes under vista

I'm running Windows Vista basic on a Dell Vostro 1500 with a Core 2 Duo at 1.7GHz with 2GB Ram and an onboard graphics card. I have CC3 DD3, CD3 installed, along with the CD3 bitmaps, and the version is 3.24.

Every time I try to export to a rectangular image- jpeg, bmp, png, CC3 closes- this is across all settings, 800x600 on up, with varying levels of quality from 0 to 100.

Secondly, If I try to place a VH labeled symbol, CC3 crashes as well. It also crashes if I try to load a bmp for tracing.

Anyone have any ideas on how to work around this?

Comments

• edited November 2008
    UPDATE ON MESSAGE BELOW: I've been doing some rough diagnostics, and have come up with the following:
    i.) I created a custom-sized metric CD3 file today.
    ii.) When I try and "Save As" (any format) on that file, CC crashes.
    iii.) If I then immediately open any other CC3/CD3/DD3 file and try to "Save As", CC3 crashes again.
    iv.) If I then open a clean CC3/CD3/DD3 template and save a dummy file, then try "Save As", that works fine.
    v.) If I then go back to the "any other presaved file" I mentioned in step iii, and clikc Save As, that now works fine.
    vi.) If I open the CD3 file I created and saved today again, the one which initially caused the problem, and try Save As, CC crashes again.
    vii.) Go to step iii!

I have no idea what in today's CD3 might be causing the problem - I'm loathe to spend yet another 6 hours recreating the map just in case the same thing happens all over again. Let me know if you want the killer file, I can send it through.

My current workaround: PRINTSCREEN!

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

I'm getting the same behaviour too, again on Windows Vista. I've just spent 6 hours putting together a city map using CD3, using a metric city template, and now I can't Save As jpeg, bmp, or png - rectangular section or not.

I mention the metric template as I know there are bugs with the DD3 metric template and window sections - am wondering if it's the template on CD3 also.

Anyway, I currently have no way to save this map as a picture, which is a swine.

Have Acer Aspire 3693WLMi Celeron M 430 1.73 GHz, 2 GB RAM, Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950, running Vista Basic. CC Version 3.22, with CC3, DD3, CD3, plus the bitmaps.

Haven't tried the VH symbol or BMP loading to see if it crashes there too - just getting the Save As crash at the mo. V. irritating.

Cheers,

Sarah
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    I would recommend for the both of you to contact ProFantasy Tech Support directly with these issues. They might be able to help you out here.
  • I have contacted Linda, here's her take: (note, I have not attempted this yet as I received the message this morning.)
    Try this & let me know what happens:

1) Do Tools Menu >> Options. Click the BNP/PNG/JPG button & set the resolution to 1000 x 1000
    2) In this same dialog box, check the button that says “print as alpha bitmap. Print Resolution divided by & make sure the number in there is 2
    3) Click the Sheets 7 effects button & uncheck Activate Sheet Effects
    4) Click the Display Speed Settings button. Click the button that says “Fixed bitmap quality” & choose highest. Click OK to close this box. Now, click Display Speed settings again & this time select “Automatic bitmap quality.”

Do File menu >> Save AS & save it as a rectangular PNG, choose the section when it asks & let me know what happens. If it does crash again, try changing that print resolution number to 4, if still crash try 6 – keep trying up to 16. Let me know if it works at any point.
  • edited November 2008
    Hi Bravefaces,

Thanks very much for posting Linda's comments. Unfortunately, they didn't work, ALTHOUGH my PC spent 4 minutes thinking about it before crashing CC this time, instead of crashing immediately - which may be an improvement, I don't know!

I then went through the whole process again, this time setting the Print Resolution divisor to 16 (rather than incrementing up by 2 each time, I went for the last stab straight away...). Same result; CC thought about it for 4 minutes, then crashed.

I'm posting this here for future reference - there seems to be a lot of people having export / save as issues, looking back. I'll fire this over to Linda also.

Cheers,

Sarah
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited November 2008
    never mind, I see you have the latest version of CC3.
  • edited December 2008
    Wow, great stuff. I just purchased CC3. Running Vista 64 and I can't even start a map... I just purchased, downloaded and installed the program. I go to create a new 1000x800 map, select my parameter to start, asks me to save as, I click ok. Then it crashes. It did say compatible with Vista, this does not appear to be the case.
  • Is this a common issue? I'm getting a new system in the new year and I will probably go with Vista so I can take advantage of being able to use more than 3 gig of RAM. Please don't suggest linux I tried looking at it and it does not make any sense to me at all.

So does CC3 not work with Vista 64?
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    We have no specific known Vista 64 issues. I'm looking into a report that Ready Boost might causes problems.
  • I've had problems with CC3 crashing under Vista as well. Then again, I've had the same issue under Windows XP. When I add sheet effects to a map and attempt to print them out the system freezes for a long time and sometimes crashes. Whenever I try to export a map to another file format, ie JPEG, PNG, etc, CC3 7/10 times will crash. Having said that CC3 tends to crash less under XP then it does under Visa.
    Please send a map and step-by-step instructions how to reproduce this issue, preferably so that it happens 10/10 for that map and those settings. That makes it a little easier for us to track down.
  • Hi Simon,

I've just picked up a new system and I haven't restored the data from my old system. When I do I'll load up some of the maps I've created and see if I can get it to crash. If it does I'll send you the map and outline the steps I took to crash the program.
    In the next day or so, or we won't get a fix for a while.
  • 22 days later
  • I run Windows VISTA 64 Bit SP1 on a quad-core system with 8 GB RAM and have so far experienced the same problems.

The following issues seem to be linked:

1. draw / insert file --> FSC file (such as a fill style): CC3 crashes

2. file / save as --> FSC file: CC3 crashes; however, the new file is written and available after the crash

3. file / save as --> rectangular BMP/JPEG/PNG: CC3 crashes before the rendering process starts

Possible workaround for all 3 issues:

Before performing one of these 3 actions, place a symbol or delete / move it. You can immediately undo it.

This works on my system.

I'd be interested to know if any other users are experiencing the same problems with draw / insert file (FSC) when running CC3 on a VISTA 64 Bit system.

BTW, draw / insert file (bitmap) does not cause any problems at all.

Another bug which also occurs on my Windows XP 32 Bit system:

When adding "too many" bitmap fill styles at once (i.e. without saving from now and then), CC3 crashes. This is not a major issue but can sometimes be a bit annoying.

I hope that the above-mentioned workaround will also help other users who have experienced similar problems on a VISTA 64 Bit PC.

Any chance that these issues (which - once again - seem to be linked) will be eliminated with the next patch, Simon?

All the best & a happy New Year to all of you,

Mogul76
  • TheElfTheElf Newcomer
    For me, the attached file results in a crash in Vista 32 and Vista 64.

You can find the file at Cartographers'c Corner in both .fcw, .jpg, and .pdf format. For reproducing the bug the attached file should be enough.
  • TheElfTheElf Newcomer
    Found out something strange:

Started an empty map, saved it to a project specific folder on some partition I tend to keep some data on. When I tried to save the image (even an empty map, I just started) CC3 crashes at "rendering image"
    I copy the same file to CC3 dir (in c:\Program Files) I don't see a crash.
  • this problem happens for me but I do have a awork around. I can save it as a bitmap then open it photoshop, paintshop pro, fireworks or any other software that can convert it a jpg. I was able to do it to the city file included above as well
  • The arlesqar file opens fine on both by XP desktop and Vista notebook with no apparent problems though I do not appear to have some of the symbols you used. But the fsc file seems stable enough on my machines. Did you have to do something to the file to reproduce the bug?
  • TheElfTheElf Newcomer
    Skaran: No, but as you see I found some source of the bug.
  • 25 days later
  • I've encountered what appears to be the same crashing symptoms on saving rectangular sections as others. I've not seen this elsewhere, so I thought I'd detail my experience and final solution.

A few notes from my working through understanding the issue and solutions folks have posted:
    a) I'm able to save as rectangular section if I choose a small enough slice of my maps. That worked out to something like 2500x2500 pixels.
    b) The location of the file I saved (and the file I was working on) on my filesystem did not seem to have an effect on the crashing.
    c) PDFCreator 0.9.6 does not save resolution settings for each image type (eg, PNG) and the default resolution is 150 dpi. Even when trying to change the setting for that 'session' for PNG, it would still print at 150 dpi. Edit and save the setting for the RAW image type, and it will affect all image types.
    d) When printing to PDFCreator at 600 dpi, I noticed mixed resolutions on the resulting image: floor textures were very low resolution compared to other objects placed on the map. Following these steps (slightly modified from above) gave the proper image quality across all parts of the map:

1) in Tools >> Options. Click BMP/JPEG/PNG button and set resolution to 1000 x 1000
    2) also check “print as alpha bitmap. Print Resolution divided by" and set it = 2
    3) click Display Speed Settings button. use “Fixed bitmap quality” and choose very high. don't go back in and select automatic bitmap quality again until after printing.