Curved text

Hello,

Me again with yet another newbie question ! Is there a way to have a text element be written along a curve rather than a straight line ? I looked around in the text options but I couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance,

o>
Sv.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Yes. Right click the text button, and select 'text along a curve'.
  • This is awesome, thanks. I'll try it out tonight.

And I guess I should start right clicking everything. So many treasures hidden just a right click away !
  • Also Svaala, the Tome of Ultimate Mapping is VERY helpful.
  • Where can I find such a tome ? I hope it's not hidden away in some ancient cave or dungeon, I don't have time for a quest right now. Plus I brought my sword to the smith the other day for repairs, so right now all I got is an old wooden axe.
  • You can buy it on the Profantasy page.
    https://secure.profantasy.com/products/tome.asp (I hope this link is OK). I use it all the time.
    I love your interest in CC#, though, and I learn quite a bit from your questions, as well as the answers that follow. Love to see your work, Quenten
  • Oh, so it's a quest for my wallet :). Well played. I'll talk to him.

And I really like CC, it's really good at what it's meant to do and is helping me a lot for the project I'm working on. You can tell a lot of thought and experience have been put into making this software.

I've started my current map over several times now, but I hope to post some screenshots soon(tm) !
  • 8 days later
  • Hello,

I have another question regarding curved text, and the Tome of Ultimate Mapping wasn't of any help, so I guess it's just me being terrible at CC3+.

When I draw a curve that goes downards first then upwards and use it to draw curved text, the text is upside-down (see attached image) ... Is there any way to change that ?
  • Posted By: DkarrChange the direction of the curve with the start point on the left and the end point on the right. The text should follow the same direction from left to right and will appear on the "top" if you select that as the location of text.
    Hmm that's already the case. I tried it both ways, didn't change anything. When the curve is going upwards it works fine though.
  • DkarrDkarr Traveler
    edited February 2016
    This used to happen to me when I used the arc tool. When you use the smooth poly tool the text follows the direction of the curve. I believe this is because an arc is not really a path.

If you must use an ARC to create the curve you are trying to run the text from, you can do the following:

Draw your arc, it does not matter what direction. Then use the line to path command on the command line ( LTP2 ). Click any end of the arc. Then do Text along Curve. This will place the text in the direction (left to right) and desired location (top, middle or bottom).

I'd recommend using a smooth poly for curves as you can directly determine the direction by the start point you use. You can draw an arc first as a guide, then do a smooth poly and follow the contour in the direction you want.
  • Svaala, with the greatest respect, I have to disagree with you about the Tome of Ultimate Mapping v3. On p 26, it talks about text along a curve. I found this page easily by looking up 'text' in the index. But at least you seem to have got good help here anyway.
  • Posted By: qwalkerSvaala, with the greatest respect, I have to disagree with you about the Tome of Ultimate Mapping v3. On p 26, it talks about text along a curve. I found this page easily by looking up 'text' in the index. But at least you seem to have got good help here anyway.
    Yup, it does, I read everything about it, but it didn't say anything about my issue. Thanks for pointing it out anyway :)

I'll give Dkarr's solution a go when I can, but it sounds like a solid lead. Thanks.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: SvaalaYup, it does, I read everything about it, but it didn't say anything about my issue.
    I'll make sure to mention it in the next version. You're not the first one who encountered this issue with the ARC primitive.
  • If all else fails, you can place the letters individually and rotate each one to the right angle and orientation. I would only do that as a last resort though.
  • DkarrDkarr Traveler
    So which one worked for you?
  • I didn't use a simple curve (start point, end point, curve angle) and used an arc. Text followed the direction I used to draw the arc.