CC3+ New Drawing Wizard options

First, if this is answered or documented somewhere, please point me to it. I've looked inthe manual and searched the forums but can't find it.

Second, I'm using CC3+, no add-ons, but have installed CSUAC and VCC symbol collections and the questions arise because I'm trying to create a 200 ft x 300 ft outdoor battlemap and am having problems. I'm hoping if I understand the creation options better, I'll be able to figure out the various problems I'm having.

Question; what are the results of the different options when creating a new map?

I have "Cities", "Dungeons", "Overland Maps" and "Symbol Catalogs" as options. If I pick the "Use a pre-defined template" option, then it filters based on my above choice, but what happens when I pick "Decide Settings for Myself"?

Based upon Map Type, what are:
- Drawing Units?
- Pre-defined sheets?
- Pre-defined Layers?
- Map Border?
- What styles are available?

Now, how about the various Map Styles? What impacts do they have other than sheet effects and default symbol catalogs?

Is there someway I can create a map with the various settings and then interrogate it to find out exactly what is set?

Comments

• I can't answer all of your questions off the top of my head, so I'm going to be lazy and wait for someone else to do it. Instead, I have another suggestion. Your postings make clear that you are taking CC3+/CC3 quite seriously and that you plan to do serious things with the programs. It's obvious to me that you are in great need of Remy Monsen's "Tome of Ultimate Mapping." (Actually, everyone here needs it, but that's another matter.) Not only are the answers to all of your questions in it, but they're better and more thorough answers than forum postings usually give you. and having the Tome gives you time to digest what Remy is telling you. Go get it. Go to:

https://secure.profantasy.com/products/tome.asp
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Basically, the answer to most of your questions, is that it depends on the map type & style you select. All map styles have a different set of sheets and layers, have their own map border.
    Map units are usually miles for overland maps, feet for the rest (or km an m if you go for the metric options)
    Best way to find out this about any of the available styles is to simply start a new map in it. Basic info about the units are shown in the info box when you pick a style, as well as a preview image.

As for map style, that contains everything that make that style unique; the template, fill styles, drawing tools, symbols and effect settings.

As for your last question, all the info is available in the new map. Just explore the various settings.
  • Blackadder23Blackadder23 Traveler
    edited January 2016
    Posted By: MonsenBest way to find out this about any of the available styles is to simply start a new map in it.
    I agree with this. :)

Another good idea is to open example maps by other people and examine them, with and without the effects turned on. See what they did with the style.
  • Thanks guys, appreciate the help.

I've been creating maps with the various styles, and that's how I figured out what I didn't know *g* For instance, one of the issues I run across is an error message for some templates that when I select a drawing tool it says now tools is defined for that map (maybe based on the selected style or template?)

I've also been looking at other people's maps, but I'm not sure where to find what template they used. I can find the style from the drawing properties, but is that the only thing of importance?

I do have the Tome as well as other products on my list to buy, just don't have a budget for it at the moment. (Didn't have the budget to upgrade from CC2 Pro as I decided to get back into mapping, but since at that time I hadn't setup XP Mode and I did want to support PF, I went ahead and upgraded.)

But, all that aside, what would get me mapping is if someone could suggest the template to use that would give me a map with the following;
    - 150 x 200 feet (portrait)
    - Overhead symbols of fills for top-down vegetation (trees & rocks)

Also, one of the maps I did, I was able to find a stone bitmap fill and a paving stone symbol fill. Which gave me a good look for the road, but other maps those fills are not an option. So I'd be trying to figure out where those are so I can use them in whatever template I do end up with.

Thanks again :)