Trimming along a stream? (newbie question #2)

I'm trying to make a city map that contains a park bounded along one side by a natural (curvy) stream. The stream is already drawn; now I am trying to draw a rectangular parkland and trim it along one side with the little stream. In other words, the final result should be a rectangular park with THREE straight sides and one uneven, irregular side that runs exactly along the edge of the stream.

I've been trying to achieve this effect using the "trim inside" or "trim to entity" commands, but neither works. "Trim Inside" clips the park border but erases the green fill color, while "trim to entity" doesn't work at all.

How can I clip a filled garden, field, or park shape against a curved/fractal stream or pathway?

Thanks!

Comments

• RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    There are a few ways to achieve this.

1. If you're using a drawing tool to draw your park, you can use the 'T'race function of the tool (look at the command line and hit 'T' after starting the tool. This is by far the easiest method.
    2. If you're not using a drawing tool, you can use the "On" modifier (F9) multiple times to attach the park to the stream. You'll need to do this often to match a straight path closely to a smooth one.
    3. You can make a copy of the stream, trim it to the section you need for the park border, draw the rest of the park border as a straight path, and then "Multipoly" the two parts into one entity.

Hope this helps,
    Ralf
  • That "Trace" function is exactly what I needed! Thank you very much :-)