Squares in FT

Parts of my map has squares (see image) I have tried smoother and rougher terrains, raise and lower terrains with anywhere from 10 to 100 or more. But I can't them to smooth out. I would like to just set the altitude and cover an area. is there a way in FT to do that or do I have to export it to a different program?

Thanks

Comments

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    It looks like you managed to get a tiny (on the order of a few editing samples) hard-edged square brush with a large value. Or a tiny multiply brush gone wrong. It's hard to say exactly what happened here. One way to get rid of it is to use the freehand selection tool to draw a selection around the areas that are causing the problem and then use the Tools>>Global Smooth for each of the channels until you find the offending one. Or use Tools>>Global Set with a value of 0 on successive channels to find the offending channel.

Be sure to check out http://www.fracterra.com/CGTutorial/index.html for some hints on how to avoid such problems.
  • While I can't offer any better advice on fixing your problem than jslayton has already given you, I have written a number of FT3 tutorials that you might find helpful.

[FT3] Basic Editing is a good place to start.

Basically, the best way to avoid such artifacts is to use Prescale editing commands, a big brush (~256) and a small value. Also, if you are using selections, feather them before using editing commands.
  • RobertRRobertR Newcomer
    edited January 2016
    Thank you, I have a tried so many different ways, I now have a few more. Thanks again.
  • Thank you, Jslayton and OldGuy.
    using the freehand tool and using the global offset worked. Thanks for the idea.