The Village of Greenpine

After the little village of Brewstown, the adventurers have arrived at the town of Greenpine ...

Comments

• DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited December 2015
    Another great little map. I really like your custom border. It's also neat how you manage to convey sloped/hilly ground. I especially like, and admire, how you've developed your own, distinctive style, too.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • Love your maps!
    +1 to Dogtag's comment about distinctive style - I'm loving it.
    I think you have here found the right colour balance between turf and trees that was mentioned in your Brewstown thread.
    I take my hat off to you!
  • Thank you very much for your positive comments - I really appreciate it :-D
  • Hi MarMorStein,

I have a question regarding you cc3-style you have designed for yourself. I really like the hills, those small increase of level work very well for me.
    It would be great if you would tell me how you did those.
    After some analysing I guess it's "glow" and not bevel because it is the same level all around the hill and not using any lighting-angels.
    Are you using multiple layers/sheets ontop each other and a hole where the village will be?

Would be great if you could give me a tipp on how to improve my map, because bevel isn't working for me, the borders are way to steep.

Back to your map. As mentioned above, I really like it, but I would lighten it up a notch. Just make the green green and not greenish gray.Feels like a very rainy or at least overcast day. But ight also be intented :)

Greetings

Torsten
  • edited December 2015
    Hi WarEagle!

Thanks for the compliments and the suggestion. The slightly dark style is on purpose, for it's a dangerous DnD-World out there :-D

The Hill-Shading in this map was done with Photoshop (just painted it in a separate layer in black with a soft brush, then applied a gaussian blur to taste and adjusted the opacity of that layer to my liking).
    Note: Layers in Photoshop are the equivalent of Sheets in CC3(+) - so don't let that bit of terminology confuse you.

If I did it in CC3(+), I probably would make two polygons on two separate sheets and use the "Edge fade, inner" effect:
    - one in solid black shaped like a ring for the dark shading, in the example-picture on Sheet Test1
    - one in solid white inside that ring for a slight brightening of the higher ground, in the example-picture on Sheet Test2
    (Both polygons overlap a little in the example-picture below, with the white polygon being on top of the black one)

The settings I chose for the example-picture below, which was done in a 200x200 map in CC3+ with SS2 style A, are shown in the picture itself, and would have to be tweaked as one would like and as it would be fitting for the individual map during the map-making process. The example given is just a top-of-the-head suggestion, though, and I am certainly not considering myself a CC3(+) Pro, so there probably are other (better?) ways to accomplish the desired look in CC3(+).

I personally prefer to do shading-work in Photoshop, because I find it easier to apply and tweak. Additionally, CC3(+) regularly does present me with some artifacts (that is in this specific example, if I made the black ring thicker, there would be "holes" strewn all about the ring with the specified sheet settings ... I'll clarify what I mean with that in a separate post with an example-picture).
  • edited December 2015
    As promised, here the example picture of what I mean with the "hole-artifacts". One can actually witness them a little bit even in the example-picture of the previous post.

I hope I could be of some help, and maybe there are some more experienced users that could give other/better suggestions/explanations or who could hint at a solution for the "hole-artifact" issue.
  • Thanks for your detailled screenshots and descriptions.

Regarding your hole-problem, take a look at this:
    http://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=5646&page=1#Item_4
    The screenshots in this thread are only showing the generationerrors in a regular pattern, but if I used irregular patterns, I also got holes in my slopes.
    The following screenshot was taken with "Edge Fade, Inner", the left half of the hill has a dark sheet below, the right half doesn't.
    You can see the holes which are generated look very like yours.
  • You're welcome.

Thank you for the link regarding the "hole-problem". This certainly clarifies things - I'm not sure how to incorporate this information in regards to tackling the issue in the example above, though ...
  • 22 days later
  • Would love to see a TUT on your boarder! LOVE IT!