Maps of Existing Towns

Does anybody know where to download maps of existing downs (especially Machynlleth, Wales) to add onto? I'm writing a series set in the future, so the towns have grown (or shrunk) and changed some.

Comments

• 7 days later
  • I think there may be a website with various maps of the UK - ordinance survey, I think. I guess Google would be your friend!
  • Thanks! I Googled it, and didn't see anything, but ordinance survey should help!
  • Actually, Google Earth is your best friend for this situation. You won't get elevations, but you'll get streets, buildings, etc...
    Use the desktop version. You can get as close as you want and can pull up a map like the attached by doing a copy image.
    Drop the image into paint or some such program. In properties, make note of the pixel width and height (784x506 in this case - i made it half size to upload - if you want to use this one, go ahead, but resize it up as the detail could be better). Save it into your CC3+ folder.
    Then, in CC3, use the image to trace - make your map the same size as the pixel width and height.
    To get it to scale:
    change drawing properties, drawing units to feet.
    Add a sheet called "Trace map"
    Activate effects for the trace map - transparent to 50%.
    Insert the drawing on that sheet and pull it out so it fits the frame perfectly.
    Then, to scale everything, take the scale bar at the bottom and measure, as precisely as you can, the distance along it. write it down.
    Choose scale, non visual and select everything. Do it.
    then enter the feet (or miles) from the google map / the feet (or miles) you measured. in this case, 1201 /13.07 (if you do miles, you will want to use the equivalences in feet)
    click to choose a point to scale from - any will do.
    You'll get a crazy pixellated view. Just Zoom extents.

Alternately, have a look at this website, specifically the US army ordnance maps from 1960: http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/united_kingdom.html
    Very high resolution.
    Very cheap - free.