A Question About Map Styles

Greetings.

I am considering buying Campaign Cartographer 3, as it looks like something I would enjoy and make use of. I have watched the tutorial videos, and I believe that with some practice, I could learn the controls and make maps like I have always wanted to. I do have a question, however, and I have not been able to find a clear answer elsewhere on the forums. From what I have seen of other people's maps, there are many different styles available, and I have seen some which would offer the realistic look I am hoping for. However, I am unsure as to how they are used.

Are these styles given to you as an option once you start, or do you have to buy them? Is it through some other means, such as subscribing to the Cartographer's Annual? I would appreciate any answer regarding this, as I have not been able to find anything that addresses my concerns.

Comments

• For my early maps, I created my own style with a modified template.

Some styles are only available via the Annuals and some come with CC3. Profantasy's site should menton which ones are which.

Note that CC3+ is in early adopter and only part of the 2015 Annual is compatible. Profantasy is working to get all Annuals and all add-ons to working with CC3+. For the Annuals, you subscribe to the entire year. In the first few days of each month a new issue becomes available. Past Annuals can be purchased as one zip that downloads and then you install it.

I don't remember if the previous year Annuals install from one installer or an installer from each issue. Sorry, I'm tired from a camping trip last weekend.

I hope all of that is correct.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    It does indeed depend on the style you are looking at. If you are unsure about where one is included, point us to an example, and we can tell you which product it is included in.
  • edited December 2015
    Thank you, that is helpful. I have seen a few styles I have liked, but there is one in particular which is my favorite, and I believe it would be just right for the kinds of maps I would like to create. I would be glad to show you an example.
  • edited December 2015
    Yes, that is it. It looks like that in order use this style, I will need to buy the annual that comes with it. That is disappointing, as I would rather not have to spend more money, but I shall look into it nonetheless.

Thank you all for your responses!
  • AEIOUAEIOU Newcomer
    Of the annuals, 2012 is the one I get the most use out of. I bought it for Herwin Wielink Overland and fell in love with Jonathon Robert's Cities, 13th Age Overland and Pär Lindström's Fantasy Regions. One of these days I'll play with the Overland Satellite View. This annual was a real winner.
    ThomasHendrich
  • 1 month later
  • I second AEIOU's comments. You will not regret buying that annual. And for the nonce, Jim P, the whole of 2015 annual is now in CC3+ form as well - Issue 97 & 98 got added a week ago - check your rego page.