City Designer capability

If I'm looking to design underground cities (dwarven, Drow, etc.) is City Designer an appropriate tool? Are the symbols pretty much just above-ground?

Comments

• Interesting question. The symbols delivered with CD3 are almost entirely above-ground buildings. Whether any of them have value as subterranean structures depends upon the kind of vision you have of your underground cities. For instance (granted, there are a few exceptions), there is almost nowhere in an underground city where a structure would need a roof ... except perhaps for secrecy reasons.

In most cases, I would think that Dungeon Designer 3 would offer more.

Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project
  • For some reason I hadn't actually considered DD3. I'm looking for something quite expansive, multiple subteranian cities (think Menzoberranzan) vice narrow dungeon room construction.
  • Posted By: the_3l3phantFor some reason I hadn't actually considered DD3. I'm looking for something quite expansive, multiple subteranian cities (think Menzoberranzan) vice narrow dungeon room construction.
    Menzoberranzen has underground structures, but I no longer recall if there's ever been a good definition of how they look. If they have roofs, DD3 won't give you the symbols that you'll want. It could be that the gothic structure symbols in CD3 will be what you need. But other than that, I believe that DD3 really is the product you need to reach your goal. You can. of course, add gothic CD3 structures to your DD3 underground city,

Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project
  • Thanks Mark. I'll take a closer look at it. :)
  • I think this is probably closest to what I'm looking to do:
    http://mikeschley.deviantart.com/art/Menzoberranzan-328785828

Except, you know, with any sense of skill on my part *grin*
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    hmm, did Wizards change their concept of Menzoberranzan, or did Mike just take some artistic freedom here? Menzoberranzan used to be described as a city consisting basically of only hollowed out stalactites and stalagmites, with a few special buildings, but this drawing seems to be using mostly regular houses.

For placing regular houses CD3 is great, even if it is in a cave, but do remember that it shows everything from straight above, while this drawing has an isometric perspective.

For an older map of Menzoberranzan in Campaign Cartographer format, see the old Forgotten Realms Interactive Atlas product (if you can get your hands on it). The map is not as visually pleasing as Mike's map obviously, but it is a good map of the city.
  • Well, I went ahead and picked up City Designer to try it out. Worst-case scenario I guess I can return it. Assuming I don't, not a word of this to my wife :)
  • the 3l3phant? i got the whole suite when i was flush at one point. even though i've set the program aside a few times, i always come back to it and i regret nothing about owning them (even though i don't use dioramas or character artist, i have installed them). i think from the description, depending on your vision, City Designer or Dungeon Designer will work, but you may consider a hybrid map of the two, it is a little tricky the first time you do it but very workable
  • Thanks Farrin - That's my guess, too. It'll probably have to have three components: CD, DD and some hand-drawn stuff. The third component will be the toughest. Even my stick figures are crooked :)
  • Posted By: the_3l3phantEven my stick figures are crooked :)
    If you have Character Artist 3, stick figures are rather superfluous.