Getting Started

Bought CC a while back and am getting around to playing with it now. Ive watched the tutorial videos and maybe I'm just slow but some of it still eludes me does anyone have any beginner tips or anything?

Comments

• DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited October 2015
    Hi Crimson_King,

Welcome [back] to CC3 and the ProFantasy forums.

The tutorial videos are good, but I also recommend you check out the tutorials in The Essentials guide or in the User Manual.

The Essentials guide is a great overview of the most common and important parts of CC3. Just as importantly, it points out some of the more unfamiliar ways you use the tools, especially if you're used to traditional "paint" programs. The map tutorial part of it starts around p. 14 but I recommend reading through the whole thing — it's a fairly small document but it packs in a lot of good information. If you got the physical CD/DVD, a printed copy should have been included in the disc case. And, regardless of whether you got a physical disc or a direct-download, a typical CC3 installation has an electronic (PDF) version in the \ProFantasy\CC3\Documentation folder. Also, the CC3 User Manual might be installed there as well. If not, you can download PDF copies of both documents from your registration page.

The User Manual has pretty much the same tutorial as The Essentials but with a few extra bits of information. The real power of the User Manual, I've found, is in the rest of the information it contains. For example, it has detailed information about sheets (p.44) and each of the effects (pp. 46-53)!

And, of course, if you still have questions, the forum is a great place to come.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • As a beginner myself, one tip I have is to try to visualize what you want to see before you actually start in on the map in CC3+, maybe even sketch it on paper, first. I found this handy because it forced me to think about what I wanted where, without the distraction of working on a new (to me) program.