Curved stairs?

I've searched and checked the Tome, but didn't find anything quite right (there is that advanced macro example in the Tome, but don't have CC3 installed at work to check what it looks like at the moment. :)

I'm trying to do a set of curved stairs along the inside of a tower but can't seem to figure out how to curve a symbol.

This tutorial has what I'm looking for in an example (the curved grey stairs along on the side) but it's the one piece of the image they don't say how to make!

I've been playing around with the Draw Along... feature and an Arc, and came up with this:

But can't figure out how to trim the edges so it's a smooth stairway instead of a fan of symbols.

Anyone got a link to a tutorial or something for this? Thanks!

Comments

• DkarrDkarr Traveler
    There is a macro/script, designed before png symbols became the rage, that can handle curved stairs. I'll see if I can find a copy of it.
  • DkarrDkarr Traveler
    I couldn't find the script I had but found this pretty great discussion at Cartographer's Guild. There is a copy of the original macro there, and I'll copy it over here.

//the next macro draws a staircase along an arc
    //by Ralf Schemmann (improved by Morgan Olden)
    MACRO CSTAIR
    RDOFF
    SELBYP
    COLOR 16
    FSTYLE Solid
    LSTYLE Solid
    GV sw1 ^DStair width:
    GV stw1 ^DStep depth:
    LWIDTH sw1
    IFERR edg
    GP p1 ^DCenter:
    IFERR edg
    GP p2 ^DStarting point:
    IFERR edg
    ARCS p1 p2 ^D
    UNDO
    GP p3 @0,0
    ARCS p1 p2 p3
    ARCS p1 p2 p3
    OUTLINEB
    GDIST r1 p1 p2
    GBRNG a1 p1 p2
    GBRNG a2 p1 p3
    ifn a1-a2 SkipAngleAdjust
    gv a2 a2+360
    :SkipAngleAdjust
    gv stw1 360/(3.1416*(r1*2))*stw1
    GV b1 a1+0
    GV b2 a2+0
    GV b3 b2-1
    GV stepi 1.0
    IFP stw1-b3 edg
    :step
    COLOR 14
    FSTYLE Solid
    GV a3 b2-(stw1*stepi)+(stw1*1/3)
    ARCR p1 r1 a1 a3
    ESC COLOR 16
    GV a4 b2-(stw1*stepi)
    ARCR p1 r1 a1 a4
    ESC ARCR p1 r1 a1 a4
    ESC
    OUTLINEB
    GV stepi stepi+1.0
    IFP (b2-(stw1*stepi))-b1 step
    :edg
    REDRAW SELBYD
    RDON
    ENDM

The discussion and modifications to this macro can be followed here: Macro Discussion
  • edited August 2015
    You can also check this tutorial, Part 8 is all about stairs.
  • 1 month later
  • I would also love to learn how to 1.) create this effect and 2.) trim the edge smooth. I have been messing around with CC3 for a long time now but I have never used or even know how to use macros... would some one be willing to give me some help?
  • jediusjedius Traveler
    Ralf posted a map here where he did some cool curved stairs and explained how he did it.
  • One might also point out that there are a great number of excellent symbols of curved stairs for towers ready for free download and use from the Dundjinni forum. See a single sample below. Go to:

http://www.dundjinni.com/forums/forum_topics.asp?FID=8

.. and do a search for stairs and stairways.