Editing entities

I am new to CAD commands and am finding use very daunting. I have begun to recreate my old paper/pencil maps into CC3 and created a landmass with a light green land-like bitmap fill and a black outline. Well, I've changed my mind and would like to go with a solid fill color with the same black outline. Here's the problem: When I try to edit just the fill, the outline also changes so that I have an entity that is all one solid fill color with no ouline apparent. I've tried many different ways to make the change, but none are working as I would expect. I really don't want to start from scratch. Help?

Comments

• DkarrDkarr Traveler
    What you are going to have to do is select only the entity that you want to change. Use the change fill command from the left hand menu and select the land mass. On the status bar below you should see Select Entities 2 picked (Dialog):

Go ahead and right click on the screen and you'll see a drop down menu. Select the Combine option and select the NOT option. Right click again and from the same drop down menu select color and enter 0 or just select the black color from the dialog. You will notice that your status bar now says "Select Entities 1 picked (Dialog):"

What you just did is select the entity that does NOT have the color black which was the color of your outline line. You could have also done this inversely by selecting only the current FILL for the landmass using the AND instead of the NOT combine.

I hope that makes sense, this is sort of stream of conciousness.
  • Dkarr has just taken you through one instance of zeroing in on the one (of two) entities that you want to work on. Once you get the hang of this kind of selection, the software begins to open up quickly to you. It's a basic function that takes a little time to get used to, but then lets you start focusing on the commands and tasks at hand rather than the details of how to get it done.

Steve
  • BaltarBaltar Newcomer
    Excellent help! Thanks to both. I'll try it when I get home tonight.