Opening CC2 in CC3

Hello, I recently received a file from a friend, which he says was created using CC2. Now, I run CC3+ and I didn't think there would be an issue with the file.
But, when I open it,there is no coloring, and all of the symbols or images are different sized letters instead. The rivers are blue lines, and the city names are still there, but nothing else seems to have opened right. Is there any way to fix this? Is this a common problem? Thanks!

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited August 2015
    Sounds weird, CC2 files should open in CC3+ as far as I know.

You can try to convert the file (found in the File menu), but from your description, that doesn't seem to be the issue, as unconverted files should normally open fine.

I assume the file is indeed a .fcw file, and not exported from CC2 to another format?

Do you have access to CC2, if so, have you tried to open it there to check that the file works fine there?

Mind sharing the file? Me or someone else could have a look at it to see if maybe we could figure out what is wrong. (You can share it privately with me by using the whisper feature if you for some reason doesn't want it posted publically)
  • I have been working on some old maps of mine made in CC2. No problem like that has shown up with around 50 maps done.

I'll try and look at it, but my time is limited. So go ahead and attach the fcw file to a post.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    edited August 2015
    That sounds more like it it is an old CC-DOS map, where symbols where specialized fonts. Could that be the case?
  • edited August 2015
    Yes, it is still an FCW file, but I have no idea how to tell if it's an old DOS file. If it is, is there a way to make it open properly in CC3+?

Sadly I don't personally have access to CC2, only the person who made it. But he tells me that it opens fine in CC2. I have the map because I'm working on some other stuff for the group and need the full map, but also because I have CC3+ and was offering to edit it as some thing have changed in the world since this version was created.

I've attached the file, thanks for your help!
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited August 2015
    Posted By: RalfThat sounds more like it it is an old CC-DOS map, where symbols where specialized fonts. Could that be the case?
    This appears to be the case. I opened it in CC3 (and CC3+) and checked the text "symbols" using the List command. As you can see in the screen shot below, the H and h "symbols" I checked were on the Mountains and Hills layer, which is consistent with how they appear laid out on the map, and the X I checked was on the Cities and Structures layer, which is what I wouldv'e guessed from the map. Each of the "symbols" was listed as text and used the SYMBOL2.FNT font.

(Click to see a higher-resolution version.)

Unfortunately, if it is from CC-DOS, I don't know how to make it show up correctly. Maybe somehow obtaining and installing the SYMBOL2.FNT font might do it? Or maybe there's a way to replace the different text "symbols" with symbols from a catalog? I don't know. Hopefully someone smarter than me can provide a working solution.

Good luck!
    ~Dogtag
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    Out of curiosity, does anyone know if there's a conversion path from CC-DOS to CC2 to CC3, maybe?

~Dogtag
    edited August 2015
    Rather interesting.
    This map does use fonts for symbols, the old CC-DOS style, but it's not a CC-DOS map (File extension is wrong, and even if I rename it, CC-DOS fails to load it.)

As Dogtag pointed out, the symbols are really text entities, using the SYMBOL2.FNT font. For some reason, this font file doesn't seem to be distributed with CC3, but it is available in CC3+, however, even if CC3+ had the font, it failed to load the map properly. I suspect that since this is a feature not really used anymore, there is a bug when attempting to load these .fnt files from the new CC3 + data directory. However, what I did was to copy this font file from my CC3+ data directory to my CC3 installation directory, and then open the map in CC3. (The file can also be found in the CC2 installation directory) This caused all the symbols to show properly. I don't know why this file isn't in CC3 in the first place though (Although it is only useful to be able to load legacy maps like this, nobody should use it in a modern map)

You also mention coloring. Old CC-DOS maps (which this clearly originated from originally, even if the current incarnation is not such a map) didn't use to have background coloring, and I couldn't find any indication in this map that there are supposed to be any either. Do you know that there should be some?

Since there seems like there might be a bug in CC3+ regarding the loading of .FNT files I suggest you use CC3 for this map for now, just remember to copy over the font file.

Since this map is based on such old and outdated features, I would suggest recreating it in a more modern version of CC. I don't think there is an easy way to do a straight conversion from text to symbols however, so unless Ralf has an idea, it is probably going to be a manual process for the symbols. Coastlines, rivers and such should be copyable to a new map directly however.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Yeah, no additional ideas in this brain, I'd go with Monsen's suggestions.
  • Hmmm I can't seem to find that data file in the CC3+ directory (unless I'm doing it wrong). I went into Program Files, ProFantasy, and then I have a CC3 file and a CC3+ file, but the CC3+ only contains extensions and 2 folders labeled Filters and ImageMagick. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
    You're looking in the CC3+ INSTALLATION directory. You need to look in the CC3+ DATA directory (C:\ProgramData\ProFantasy\CC3plus by default)
  • Thank you so much! That worked like a charm! Now I can start improving the map and updating it to a more recent version!
    Glad you got it working. Happy Mapping.
  • 1 year later
  • SorpawSorpaw Newcomer
    Another issue with CC2, CC2Pro or CC3 files. Is there a way to determine what package was used to create it? I have no idea what was used (we are talking about files 8-10 years old, perhaps). I tried to convert the old files to CC3, and I was asked about the package that was used to create the old files. Printing them (or trying) tended to lead to blank printer paper. Before I upgrade to CC3+, I would like to determine how to edit or print old maps.
  • Sorpaw, I still have a few CC2v5 maps in my collection that have not been converted to CC3. CC3+ opens and prints them with no problem. I can also convert them to CC3+ with no problem.

I'm not sure how you would tell what package they came from. I think it assumes that they were made with Pro and you are asked to choose what to convert them to, but I've never had a problem converting anything. The sheets do need reordered and cleaned up, but it all works just fine otherwise.
  • I can tell my CC2 maps from my CC3 maps because they look too cheesy, and I don't mean with cheese. I was learning and not doing a good job of it. I got better.
  • SorpawSorpaw Newcomer
    Thanks for the input. I'll look for a good example for you on this/these point(s). I agree - there should not be a problem. I apparently discovered one when I was converting/printing. I'll get an example for your consideration. It could be that the program was trying to decide what symbols to use.

JimP - I have also seen old,simple maps from earlier times. Unfortunately, this was not so simple.
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited August 2016
    Yeah, I'm tired...

If it doesn't have sheets, its before CC3. The symbols are plainer to. And when I go to load a symbol set in CC2, the lower right says 'FastCAD Symbol Catalog'.
  • Sorpaw, I'm sure we could figure it out if you posted the fcw file.

I'm wondering, could it be from Campaign Mapper that was part of the Core Rules 2? I know that it was a bit different than Campaign Cartographer, though I'll confess to not being sure how different. I had only used CM for a couple of days after which my husband quickly ordered CC2 as an anniversary gift. I still have the CM symbols and lovingly copy them into each version of CC that comes along.
    edited August 2016
    Posted By: SorpawPrinting them (or trying) tended to lead to blank printer paper.
    This typically happens because the options in the print dialog are wrong, you don't need to convert maps to print them. Make sure that view to print is set to everything, and that sheet is set to all visible sheets on one page, and that none of the option to print stuff as black is checked. That should normally take care of things. The most usual suspect is the sheet selector being wrong though.