CC3 slowdown on some maps

Just a quick question, but I have a couple of maps that seem to cause CC3 to slow down on a massive scale.
Now the map effects are either off or not even enabled; the maps are only 1000x800px; and they're black and white or parchment with simple symbols, so no slowdown on that account. The PC is running WinXP, has 4G RAM, and plenty of HD freespace.
Basically, is there some setting that might have corrupted, something in the registry that might need deleting, or some temp files that CC3 might be accessing that are causing this to slow down? BTW, CC3 has been patched with the current version.
TIA...CH

Comments

• Addendum: after managing to get back into one of my 'killing' maps, I think I have a clue.

Is there an issue with mixing styles from different templates?

You see my map is based on the 'Annual Overland Black & White Style' but when I tried to add coastlining from the 'Fenlon' style, all hell broke loose. AFAICR I was also mixing and matching styles with my other 'killing' maps. Is there some rule not to do this?

Cheers...CH
  • Quick question: What kind of video card are you running?
    You have to remember that XP is a resources hog... I am running a 3.4 main Proc and 2 Gig of Memory for the Mobo. But I have an Nvidia SLI based system and an BFG Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX OCX 512 GDDR3 video card in it. So depending on your video card, that could be why CC3 is slowing down. I would be happy to let you know how it runs on mine, once I get my software.

Later
  • Sorry I forgot that detail - the system is running dual GeForce 7600 GT 256MB cards in SLI mode - again, patched to the latest drivers.
    Oh and I keep the errors out of the registry with Max Registry Cleaner too.
    Just to be a completist, the system is running on an Intel D Cpu ate 3.4Ghz.
    Not sure why these are being hogged, whether CC3 is greedy, or whether it's something to do with mixing styles as the map I 'cleaned' of cross-styled elements now runs fine.
    Cheers & TIA - CH
  • 1) When was the last time you defragged your hard drive ?

2) About how many symbols are on the map ? Large numbers of symbols can slow down redraw times. Which happens when you zoom in or out, or move across the map.
  • Jim

1) I defrag weekly

2) symbol count would be under 300

CH
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Mixing different styles should not generally be a problem.

Try setting some speed-improvemens in the Display Speed Settings, e.g. Automatic low-bitmap quality. Does that improve things?
  • Posted By: Clee-HillSorry I forgot that detail - the system is running dual GeForce 7600 GT 256MB cards in SLI mode - again, patched to the latest drivers.
    Oh and I keep the errors out of the registry with Max Registry Cleaner too.
    Just to be a completist, the system is running on an Intel D Cpu ate 3.4Ghz.
    Not sure why these are being hogged, whether CC3 is greedy, or whether it's something to do with mixing styles as the map I 'cleaned' of cross-styled elements now runs fine.
    Cheers & TIA - CH
    Our main procs are the same.. and your running 2 video cards vs my one. Thou your card is an older card.
    If Ralf's suggestion does not help then I would look to 2 different places.

1st: Run a System Defrag, Window (any of them) is well known for dumping pieces of computer programs where ever it finds room.
    A system defrag will go through and find the missing pieces and put them all in the same place. This will speed up your computer.
    I have ran this system tool right after an new install of Windows XP and was greatly surprised at the change in speed.

2nd: I use a program called CCleaner, it goes through the system and finds all the files not needed and cleans up everything. It also
    will search the registry and clear unneeded entries in it. You can find this program on C-net's site or just google CClearner. That will
    take you to File-hippo for the download. Also a safe site, I have used it often.

On a side note: When is the last time you ran a virus & spyware scan?

Hope that helps
    Laters!
  • Defrags - done thoroughly and weekly - and this file is not reported as fragmented

Spyware - checked for weekly

Display Settings - I'll see if it makes any difference though the map is fairly usable again at the moment with all the deleted elements

Guess this is one to re-draw

Cheers all...CH
  • 10 days later
  • edited November 2008
    Clee-it's not just you. I have the slow-down problem whenever I try to use CD 2 pro and SM: Cities. Using some of the larger city maps is like trying to swim through molasses in January. I am running Win Vista with an Nvidia GEForce 7600 GT on a dual-core processor, so I should not be experiencing this.