Windows 10 and CC3

have upgraded to Windows 10, and, CC3 seems to be a bit unstable. I am getting fairly frequent FCW32 has stopped working errors. is anyone experiencing problems, or is it just my build being flakey? The problem usually occurs whilst zooming

Comments

• JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited August 2015
    I haven't upgraded to Win 10 yet, but new operating system releases always have problems due to them being unable to check all hardware and software combinations. I'm referring to Microsoft, not Profantasy.
  • For what it's worth CC3+ is working fine under Windows 10 for me. Haven't bothered installing CC3 though due to, well, instability issues. :)
  • Not sure if this mattered but I uninstalled everything prior to upgrading to Windows 10. Re-installed and haven't had any issues with CC3 or CC3+. That's been a little over a week now. Keeping figures crossed especially on CC3 as most of my work has been done using CC3.
  • edited August 2015
    I've just updated to Windows 10 and CC3 seems quite unstable. It crashes frequently with a 'this program has stopped working' error.

I'm not at all technical with software and have no idea what to do about this. Can anyone suggest anything, please?

Edited to add: It always happens when I try to trim to entity. Every. Single. Time. So very annoyed with it now.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Have you tried a fresh install of CC3? Another option is to set the compapibility to Windows 7: Right-click the CC3 shortcut, choose "Properties" and on the Compatibility tab set it to Windows 7.
  • My solution is not to "upgrade" (maybe I should put that in two or three sets of quotes to emphasize the sarcasm) until Microsoft forces me to do so by dropping support for the older version (which is what forced me to "upgrade" - see caveat about multiple quotes in my previous aside - from Windows XP to Windows 7). Any new version of Windows is virtually guaranteed to be a hellish brew of bugs, pointless changes, and incompatibility with existing programs, so why beat your head against that wall as long as you have a choice?

For those who've already "upgraded" to the latest Redmond Fiasco, my profound sympathies. I assume there's no way to undo it?
  • Apparently, a new user to Win 10 has 30 days to revert; however, XP impossible as a wipe and load would be required to install Win 10. Vista might have the same problem. And hardware might not be compatible in Win 10.

My last job, we had lots of upgrade problems when we dropped Win XP. One of the other IT guys ran tests, and we had to get around 100-120 new desktop computers. Almost as bad when we went from Vista to WIn 7. Maybe 50-75 new computers were required to get everyone on the new operating system. I retired before the switch to Win 8.
  • Posted By: Blackadder23For those who've already "upgraded" to the latest Redmond Fiasco, my profound sympathies. I assume there's no way to undo it?
    It was an effortless upgrade from Windows 8.1 for me. Clicked upgrade, watched an episode of Suits and came back to Windows 10. Machine is actually running better than it was before.

Now, I have fairly recent hardware and I'm not using programs that are years old or designed for XP or earlier, so compatibility issues aren't really a concern for me specifically.
  • It was also an effortless upgrade from Windows 7. I currently have no issues to report with CC3 or CC3+.
  • FWIW, the upgrade from Win 7 went flawlessly for me, and (so far) no problems with CC3+.
  • I've upgraded 5 machines. Two from Windows 7 and three from Windows 8.1. So far the only glitch I ran into was Symantec Anti-Virus wasn't compatible on one of the Windows 8.1 machines. Only one of these machines, a Windows 7 machine was running CC3/CC3+. Before I upgraded I uninstalled every piece of software, i.e. CC3/CC3+, Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative suites. After the upgrade I reloaded all the software, without a glitch, and have been glitch-free (knock on wood) since. I was most impressed with the fact that the Windows 10 upgrade didn't miss one driver for any of the systems I updated. I think this is a key factor for why I've been lucky and not experienced any issues. I have one upgrade to go, it is Windows 7 install running under VMWare on a Mac Mini that I use to do Intrusion Detection tests, etc. To anyone skeptical about upgrading, this has been the least problematic upgrade that I have experienced with Windows and I go back all the way to Windows 3.1.
  • I really appreciate everyone's comments on the upgrade. My plans were to reinstall both of my 8.1 machines, let 8.1 update fully, do the upgrade to 10, then do a full install of 10. I hadn't considered just uninstalling all of the software rather than the reinstall of 8.1.

I have high hopes that Win10 will fix my laptop's glitches so I want this install to be as clean as I can. Hmmm...something to consider.
  • Glad to hear the upgrade is working well for some people. I'm still not changing from Windows 7 until I'm left with no choice. I would probably go ahead and upgrade now if I were using Windows 8; my father-in-law got so frustrated with 8 that he threw his laptop against a wall, so I'm guessing 10 would have to be an improvement!
  • "Trim to entity" is still making CC3 crash - I have tried reinstalling it to no avail.

I've fixed every other problem that the upgrade to Windows 10 caused me, and there were a few, but this one remains stubborn. Has anyone any suggestions?
  • Lexin, have you tried contacting ProFantasy Support? They are fantastic at tracking down odd problems like this.
  • Tried to install Windows 8, upgrade to 10 or upgrade to 8.1 then 10 and have had nothing but trouble with my laptop. It might be the hardware but so annoying. :)
  • 14 days later
  • At the beginning of August, I was forced to but a new computer because of a motherboard crash on my four year old one operating on Windows 7. Thus, I decided to take the plunge into Windows 10 on the replacement computer. I am not usually one to jump on a new OS but I did not want to have to go throught the hassle of doing later when support ends for Windows 7.

I have been able to install CC3+ and all of the addon's that are available. So far, it seems to work fine.

Where I have run into trouble is with with CC3. I can install CC3 and it appears to work, but every time I try to install an addon for it, I get the error message "Run-time error '75': Path/File access error" and the addon fails to install properly. So, far I have tried to install DD3, CD3, and Source Maps: Castles, all giving the same error.

I don't know if this is a Windows 10 problem or something else. I could just wait for Profantasy to catch up with modifying the rest of the addon's for CC3+. I will mostly miss several items in the Annuals. Does anyone know when they are planning to make theses CC3+ compatible?
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    Did you run the installer as administrator?

http://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=2539&page=1#Item_9 has some suggestions for the error 75 problem.
  • 5 months later
  • edited February 2016
    Having install difficulties in Win10 for Tome of Ultimate Mapping V3 and Cosmographer 3.

The rest of the software: CC3+ as well as DD3+, CD3+, SS1 3+, and SS2 3+ all installed without incident.

This is a whole new rig, new CPU, PSU, MoBo, and vid card. Old RAM (for now!), old case, old optical drive.

I upgraded to Win10 from Win7. All of this installed and ran great in Win7 environment.

I'm getting the "can't find CC3, you have to install it" message.

I've attempted install normally, and as Administrator. I turned off MS Security Essentials and no other anti-virus software. Win10 is currently very clean and stable (except one nagging HD Audio Device not running but that's irrelevant).

Any help ya'll can provide is greatly appreciated.