Landmass copy to new map in cc3+

Can someone tell me how to do this? I open cc3+ twice, copy one landmass, then try to paste into the other map, but nothing actually gets "Placed".

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Did you actually complete the copy command in the first map? The most common mistake when doing this is to forget completing the command, just keep an eye on the command line to make sure you complete all the steps.
    Also make sure you use the clipboard copy command (Edit menu or Ctrl+c) and not the 'copy in drawing' command from the lefthand toolbar.
  • Yeah i missed the "origin clipboard" part. Now if i put this in a much smaller map how do i tell it not to put anything outside the map boundaries?
    You can't do that automatically. You need to cut away the parts you don't want. Use SPLIT/BREAK to divide the lines, then erase what you don't want. If you started out with a closed polygon, you can finish by closing it back up again using Path to Poly [CLOSEPATH].

As a simpler alternative, you can also cover it up by placing a white polygon on the MAP BORDER sheet over the entities. Most maps have such a screen already just outside the map border to hide entities sticking out, but it don't go very far. You can simply extend this. I do recommend the first method though.
  • Well here is another question, how do you scale the landmass you copied into the new map? Say i want it exactly 2 times the size. Right now the only way appears to be holding control and dragging, but that is not accurate at all.
    edited July 2015
    You need to place it first, then scale it (I prefer to use non-visual scale [SCALE], use the command line to specify the exact scale factor). Remember that you can select by Prior [P] after pasting, as long as you do it immediately after, so it is easy to select the entities you just placed, and if you need to adjust the position afterwards with the Move [MOV] command, select by Prior is still useful (Particularly if you pasted multiple entities)

One note about scaling your landmass though, unless you made a mistake in the original map, you normally should not scale a landmass copied into another map. If you do that, the sizes reported by length and area tools will not match between your two maps. Remember that overland maps are measured in map units, where each unit represents 1 mile (or 1km for metric). If the landmass doesn't fit in your new map, you should consider making the map itself of a different size instead.