Changing the map style of an existing map

Hello Guys.

I'm new to CC3, but on Fiverr, I commissioned somebody to create a map after my written directions, mostly for using it to "train" myself in the use of CC3.

But now, I've got a problem. I wanted to change the entire drawing style of my map (which is already finished, not still in the stage of production) from "Overland Mike Schley" to, say, "CC3 Standard Overland".

I tried to go via the route File/Drawing Properties/ Drawing Presets. But that didn't do the trick.

Do you know how to change the map styles of finished maps?

Comments

• RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Unfortunately this is not a simple, few-clicks process - normally you are better off redrawing the map. But doing some of the steps below might be helpful:

You can change the drawing style the map uses in File > Drawing Properties > Drawing Style. But this will only affect future operations, not previous work.

- Import (Draw > Insert File) a map or template from the new style, then delete it again. This will make sure that you have all the fill styles included that the new style uses.
    - Hide all sheets but the current one and go through the sheets one by one. On each, use Change > Change like drawtool to change the entities to the look of the new style. This will only work on things like terrain polygons, coastline, rivers, etc, not on Symbols of any kind.
    - For symbols, you'll need to click the new, replacing symbol (to add its definition to the drawing, then go to Symbols > Symbol Manager and use the "Replace" function. As this must be done symbol by symbol, this is the most time-consuming part of the process. It may be easier to just place symbols from the new style over the old ones, then later "Delete" the old symbols via the Symbol Manager.
    - You might need to replace the sheet effects with the ones from the new style. This can be done from the Sheets & Effects dialog.
    - Stuff like the map border, background and text will need to be changed manually.

One good method is to start a new map in the new style you like at the same size of the old one. THen open the old map in a second instance of CC3+ and copy things over as you need them one sheet at a time, then use the Change > Change like drawtool method.