Rivers and Attach

Hi all,

I've finally had some time to get back to my first map and I've been experimenting with laying down rivers. I seem to be doing something wrong with the Attach function. Here's the area in question:

River attach 01

A river flows from a small mountain lake to join a larger river. I used the "On" button at both ends (this is CC3+). The terminus at the larger river looks fine, but joining at the lake looks funny. Look carefully and you'll see a jagged bit sticking out where the smooth path doesn't align with the curve of the lake (a smooth poly). Try as I might, I cannot get that end to look right, like the downstream end.

So... What am I doing wrong, and how do I do it right?

Thanks much in advance!

EDIT: Here's a tighter closeup of the problem point.

River Attach 02

Comments

• dagorhirdagorhir Traveler
    I have always had this problem, since CC2. My solution was not to connect the river to the lake, but to draw the lake above the river. That way appears to flow directly into the lake with no seam.

Also, for a nice visual effect I often draw lakes that go under the mountain symbols so it looks like the lake goes right to the mountain's edge.
  • "My solution was not to connect the river to the lake, but to draw the lake above the river."

That's kind of what I thought I'd have to do. Thanks for confirming it.

"Also, for a nice visual effect I often draw lakes that go under the mountain symbols so it looks like the lake goes right to the mountain's edge."

Ooh, nice idea! Thanks! :)