Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    For a really nice city or castle map, I find that placing lots of trees and bushes is a great touch. But it's tedious work, placing them all one at a time. Is it possible to throw down lots of trees in automated fashion? Preferably randomly so that you get a nice mix of large-small?

Michael
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2008 edited

I assume the forest tool doesn't help you much here.
    As far as I know, there are no way of automating placement of trees. You'll need some kind of macro for that, but I don't think there is one out there.

Something that might help you though is to create a new symbol catalog, add all the different sized trees you are going to use, rename the symbols (in the new symbol catalog) to a continuous naming scheme [like tree 1, tree 2, tree 3, etc...], select them all, and set the "Symbol is one of a collection option", and then the "randomly select" suboption. Setting a random transformation with some options might also be usefull.

This way, you have a symbol catalog that places a random tree from the collection every time you place a tree, which means you don 't need to go back and select a new symbol from the catalog all the time, but just have to click away in the map and get a nice varied selection.
    • CommentAuthorPatrakis
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2008

I remember there was such a macro in the Harn mapping style add on. Maybe someone involved in the project can bring light to that question.

Pat