Time for Windows 10 Comments

With the news that Windows 10 will be released on July 29 and the electronic invitations for a free update for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users, it's about time to start hearing something here about Windows 10 and ProFantasy products. This is particularly true in view of some of Microsoft's own comments on their forums saying that 3rd party 32-bit programs may encounter problems with Windows 10. ProFantasy still offers only 32-bit programs, so this is germane.

One assumes that ProFantasy has been testing CC3, CC3+ and the add-ons under Windows 10 betas. One assumes that some CC3 and CC3+ users also are among the 4 million folks worldwide who tested Windows 10 betas. What are your experiences with Windows 10 and CC3, CC3+ and the add-ons?

This is a critical point now for those CC3/CC3+ users who have to consider whether to update free to Windows 10.

Lest someone think I am making a mountain out of a molehill ... consider the woeful tale of users of the obsolete but still-available mapping program Dundjinni™, which some considered to be the vanguard of RPG mapping programs before CC3 and Fractal Mapper™ 8 were released.

The Mac version of Dundjinni does not run at all under any current Mac OS. The Windows version of Dundjinni was programmed for Windows XP. In 2008, Version 1.07 of Dundjinni was released, to make the program run under Windows Vista. After that, further development of Dundjinni was stopped and it has stayed stopped ever since. Version 1.07 was the end of the line. It can be installed under Windows 7, but not everything works quite right there. Only with somewhat complicated manual manipulations of the Windows registry can one install under Windows 8 and 8.1, and not everything works quite right there either. Beta testers report that it cannot be installed or brought to run at all under Windows 10.

How does it look with Windows 10 and CC3/CC3+ and the add-ons? We users need to decide soon whether to update. That would be good to know.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    I've done all my beta testing of CC3+ and addons on Windows 10, and my experience is that everything works just fine. Of course, beta testing never uncovers all the potential problems that regular daily use does, but so far, everything seems to work fine as far as I can tell. Personally, I am planning on upgrading at least some of my computers to Windows 10 when it arrives.

Some issues were found and fixed during beta testing, but if these were caused by Windows 10 incompatibility or had other causes, I don't know. In any case, they were fixed, and the current available version of CC3+ and addons run fine on my Windows 10 test system now.

I have also briefly tested CC3 as well under Windows 10, but not to the same extent as CC3+, but I didn't find any problems during this test.

On the other hand, I hope Microsofts updating routines improves, because upgrading my Windows 10 installation tot he latest beta has on several occasions crashed my Windows 10 installation itself.
  • Thanks Vintyri & Monsen,

I was wondering about this myself.
    I will be getting a new laptop with Windows 10 in August and want to put CC3+ on it.
    Right now it is only on my desktop at home.
  • 8 months later
  • Heya been so long since I was here last my account is gone. Anyways. Have had this incarnation of CC3 since 2006. Updated to windows 10 and now a problem that has me a bit furious.

On occasion I cannot select layers (or sheets for that matter) I can hide all, freeze all, thaw all, and show all. But I cannot check any boxes.
    Switched to running as admin, also changed the operation to run in windows 8. It comes and goes, and usually when I want to do some work, then it shows up.

Any insight would be appreciated.
  • Hmm. I remember reading somewhere that somebody suggested running in Windows 7 compatability mode. Don't know if that would help ...
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    That sounds a bit like you accidentally activated the global layer protection. Type GLS at the command line and see whether they dialog shows any layers as protected. This would have nothing to do with the Windows OS.
  • Once again the program is back to normal. When it locked out I tried the GLS and it didn't do anything for me.
    Starting to think there is some conflict somewhere, just cannot track it down. Yea maybe I should try run it on Windows 7. I'll keep plugging away and see if I can find this damn little gremlin.

Thanks for the input.
  • 5 months later
  • SorpawSorpaw Newcomer
    Are there problems with Windows 10 and CC3+ dealing with maps that were made a long time ago (CC2. . .)? I have some very old files that I would hate to lose - I want to work on them some more.

Thank you,

Sorpaw
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    None that I am aware of. The basic file format is still the same, so there shouldn't be any operating system differences with old and new maps. The only real difference I can think about is between CC2 and CC3 which lays in how they use and manage sheets. These issues should normally be easy to fix and/or work around, but again, that is a difference in newer version of CC, not something caused by the OS.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited July 2016
    There's no Win 10 problem that I know of, and I've been using it from the beginning with CC3+, and now with DD3 and CD3 as well. I was also involved in the Vintyri Cartographic Collection Beta tests, and I'm pretty sure that if there had been any difference between my Win 10 machine and other non Win 10 machines being used in the same tests they would have emerged right then as noticeable performance irregularities. I assure you - we were pretty thorough about pushing the limits ;)

Like Monsen says, any minor difficulties are going to be down to converting the CC2 files to CC3 files, regardless of Win version, but if my memory serves me right, when I first installed CC3+ about 4-5 months ago one of the first bits of information that's either in the CC3+ manual or on the welcome screen is something about converting old files.

EDIT: the instructions on how to convert from old files to CC3+ files are on page 92 of the CC3+ manual. To get there quickly just open the manual and hit CTRL+F and enter "convert" into the search box. Hit return about three times to move to the next instance of "convert" and you will end up right where you need to be.