Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorGandwarf
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2008 edited

I just wanted to share some more city maps recently done with City Designer 3. I love this software :)
      Zoutland_Gandwarf_small.jpg
      Westdiep_Gandwarf_small.jpg
      Sirilion_Gandwarf_small2.jpg
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2008

wowsers !

Maybe one of my relatives will get this for me as a nice Christmas present.
    Those are just fantastic. Westdiep has to be my favorite out of the bunch.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2008 edited

Amazing work, Gandwarf. The sheer detail alone is inspiring (particularly Sirilion), but I am also blown away by your sense of design. Congratulations on what must have been enormous effort.

Question? What are the little green objects that you placed around the variously-colored patches of land? Are those shrubberies? Are they symbols or drawn objects?

Again, great work.
    • CommentAuthorGandwarf
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2008

Thanks for all the comments, it means a lot :-)

Dogtag, the little green objects are hedges and shrubberies. They are standard symbols that come with City Designer 3.
    • CommentAuthorHenrie61

Gandwarf,

Excellent work.
    Since I am just in the first stages I am curious how you made thees. What settings did you use for Zoutland?
    • CommentAuthorDkarr

These look fantastic. Very good work. The level of detail on Sirilion is impressive. How long did it take you to develop these?
    • CommentAuthorGandwarf

Henrie61: I will post some tips tonight.

Dkarr: thanks! Zoutland was only 1 - 2 hours, Westdiep about 10 hours and Sirilion probably 20 hours.
    Sirilion was hard to finish as it was getting tedious after a while to place houses, farms, etc. That map kinda got me scared to do another big map :-)
    • CommentAuthorIron Llama

I'd be particularly interested in tips on making densly packed buildings, like in Sirilion. I've achieved something similar, but only with hours of really, really painful cleanup around the intersections of streets, and I'd like to hope there's an easier way. Love the blur effect on the fields.
    • CommentAuthorGandwarf

Iron Llama: I'll post some hints on that too. Placing houses will still take some time, especially if you have thousands of them like in Sirilion, but I didn't do any cleanup, so we must be doing something differently.
    • CommentAuthordutch206

Good maps! I was especially pleased to see that CD finally comes with a symbol for docks!
    • CommentAuthorGandwarf

dutch206: thanks. CD3 indeed has symbols for docks, but I didn't use them in above maps.
    • CommentAuthorolona

Can we get some close ups. Good maps by the way!
    • CommentAuthorGandwarf

This is for Henrie61, some information on the Zoutland map.

I made a map with the CD3 Bitmap A style. Dimensions 1000x800 and background CD3A_Grass2
    I used the standard effects you will get when you turn on the effects, only for the hill I made some changes.

Roads
    I made the roads with "All city drawing tools" and then picking Road, Dirt 5' smooth. You can just click around your map to start adding roads!

Fields
    All the fields were made with "All city drawing tools" and then picking "Terrain, fields". Again you can just click on the map to just create some different sized fields. I changed the background of the fields a couple of time to get different colored patches. I added hedge and bush symbols (part of the City Designer 3 package) along each field.

Houses
    The houses were made with the "House" tool. Most houses use "CD3A Thatch (No frills)" under the house settings. I also added some stone houses using "CD3A Classic (No frills)". The tower on the hill is a symbol that's part of the City Designer 3 package.

Hill
    - Click on "All city drawing tools"
    - Click on Advanced
    - Select "Terrain, fields"
    - Click on "New"
    - Name it something like "Terrain, hills"
    - Click on "Properties"
    - Edit the value under "Sheet" and name it something like "Hills"
    - Click "Ok"
    - Now create a hill
    - Click "Ok" again and create a hill using this tool and clicking on some points in your map.
    - After creating a hill you need some effects: click on "Sheets and effects"
    - Find your "Hills" sheet (or whatever you called it a few steps before) and click on it
    - Click the right most "Add" button and select "Bevel", enter 25, 10, 0, 0
    - Click the right most "Add" button and select "Blur", enter 15
    - Click the right most "Add" button and select "Wall shadow, directional", enter 1, 20, 6 and check "Use global sun direction"
    - Click the right most "Add" button and select "Inner glow", enter 10, 192, 192, 64, 255, 1
    - Make sure that "Activate sheet effects" is checked and click on "Ok"

You should now have a hill like mine.
    This is just one way to do hills, I am sure there are better. In the Westdiep map you can see some different looking hills.
    • CommentAuthorGandwarf

This is for Iron Llama, explaining how I did the denser buildings:

- First I created a system of roads using the standard road tools you can finder under All "city drawing tools". Roads always come first, it's like that in real life as well.
    I made sure there were empty areas for all the houses between the roads. It should look something like this:

X X X X X X
    X O X O O X
    X O X X X X
    X O X O O X
    X X X X X X

X = road
    O = housing

- Next I clicked on the "House" tool. I used the 8th house shape and the "CD3A Classic (no frills)" setting (see first screenshot).

- Now just start adding houses in different shapes and pack them really together (see second screenshot).

- You can add some more roads and start filling up the empty spaces with houses (see third screenshot).

- Now turn on the effects and zoom out a bit. You should have something looking like screenshot 4.

The trick is to do a large map so you can zoom out/resize. Because if you zoom in too much it won't look too good.

To get my maps I also added different styles of houses in each block, some gardens, some larger buildings, etc.
      1.jpg
      2.jpg
      3.jpg
      4.jpg
    • CommentAuthorGandwarf

I am mapping a fantasy world I have created and having a blast with City Designer 3. Some more maps.
      noorderpoort_gandwarf.jpg
      westerpont_gandwarf.jpg

That actually looks more laborious than the method of drawing dense-packed buildings I've been using. After drawing the street grid, I use the random street tool to line all the blocks with buildings (that part goes fast), clean up the street intersections (because the random street tool puts buildings on top of cross streets), and fill in gaps thus created with the building tool.
      example.JPG

Sorry, should have specified. The picture above is sort of my first stage. Second stage, with intersections cleaned up, is below.
      example2.JPG
    • CommentAuthorGandwarf

Well, that's another way and the end result looks good too. That's what I like about Campaign Cartographer, you can get really different looking styles and maps. Personally, I like hand placing every single building, although it can get a bit tedious in the larger maps.

Do you have any examples of your work?

No finished cities at the moment, but this is from something I've been toying with.
      example3.jpg
    • CommentAuthorHenrie61
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2008

Gandwarf,

The tips are greatly appriciated, will try them out as soon as I can find the time.

And considering the names of your towns and cities I suspect youre dutch. I am :-)
    • CommentAuthorGandwarf
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2008

Yes, I am very Dutch :-)
    Some great maps and techniques here, thank you.
    • CommentAuthorthornrd
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2008

Why do not to put links with cards(maps) in size(format) fcw, that they can be useful in role playing game campaign. It would be very nice from your part.
    • CommentAuthorFinarfin
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2008 edited

great maps!
    • CommentAuthorolona
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2008

Loving the maps!! Great inspiration. I am going to steal the maps however to use in my RPG campaign :)
    • CommentAuthorGandwarf
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2008

Some more maps I have done recently. You can use them for private stuff, like in RPG campaigns.
      generic_city_profantasy.jpg
    • CommentAuthorGandwarf

generic_city2_profantasy.jpg
    • CommentAuthorGandwarf

groenburg_profantasy.jpg
    • CommentAuthorGandwarf

Blauwhaven_profantasy.jpg
    • CommentAuthorGandwarf

#5, last for now.
      ziadon_profantasy.jpg
    • CommentAuthorBidmaron

On Blauwhaven, what are you showing with the gray areas? It is a neat effect.
    • CommentAuthorGandwarf
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2008

I was going for cliffs :-)
    • CommentAuthorGandwarf
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2009

Well, another map. This is the second version of a city that I think I never posted on this forum. It's supposed to be a fortress city.
      meerzicht_final_profantasy.jpg
    • CommentAuthorMogul76
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2009 edited

Excellent maps indeed, Gandwarf. You must be THE city cartographer within the ProFantasy community. Since you are using CD3's standard symbol sets (except for the eagle mapping object on "Meerzicht"), is there any chance you can share those FCW files with us?
    • CommentAuthorjaerdaph
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2009

Yes, Gandwarf, please consider sharing some of your FCW files - I would love to go crazy in one of your maps with Info -> List and learn some new techniques, especially those rocky hills and cliff faces and your signature cultivated fields. :)
    • CommentAuthorGandwarf
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2009 edited

Well, I am pretty protective of the original FCW files. However, in this example map you can see most of my techniques.

Keep in mind that I am a very sloppy mapper and I am sure I am doing a lot of things wrong or less efficient. I taught myself to use this program and I am all about the final result. Also I am used to exporting my maps at huge dimensions and then resizing and sharpening them with Paint Shop Pro. This tends to hide some of the bad stuff, like the anti-aliasing (I don't think CC3/CD3 is really good at anti-aliasing or maybe I am doing something wrong).

If there's any questions I'll try to answer them. Or if you have any tips for me to improve my skills that's great also :-)
    • CommentAuthorDavaris
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2009

>Well, I am pretty protective of the original FCW files. However, in this example map you can see most of my techniques.

At the very least if you wrote a tutorial, I think it would deserve a place in the annuals. :)
    • CommentAuthorMogul76
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2009

Thanks for sharing that sample file, Gandwarf. I'll definitely take a closer look at the sheet effects. Your "sloppy" mapping techniques lead to impressive results. And you seem to work very fast. I agree with Davaris. A tutorial would be great. Perhaps Simon or Ralph should kindly ask you to create a video tutorial for the Annual (similar to Joseph Sweeney's one but which focuses on city mapping) ;-)
    • CommentAuthorjaerdaph

Many thanks for sharing that sample file!

I really like those two hills in the bottom right hand corner of the Meerzicht map. I assume you are doing those on multiple sheets. Are you using bitmaps or just a grey color for those?
    • CommentAuthorGandwarf

Mogul: maps like Concetron and Meerzicht cost me over 30 hours to create (each!). I love to map though and I had a lot of spare time the past months. So it might look I map fast, but the bigger maps are a huge investment. Also, one other person has asked me for a tutorial, but I certainly don't feel I mastered CD3. And what's left to tutorial with my example map? :-)
    Right now I am kinda burned out, so no new maps for now.

Jaerdaph: if you want I can add the "hills" to my example map? Look at the number near the "hills", though... I wanted them to represent clay pits ;-)
    I used 5 sheets I think and some standard CD3 fills (dirt and stone). I added some effects and I got this result. But again, I can add them to the example so you can reverse-engineer them. They are a bit like the ridges I did in the example.
    • CommentAuthorjaerdaph
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2009 edited

Posted By Gandwarf: Jaerdaph: if you want I can add the "hills" to my example map? Look at the number near the "hills", though... I wanted them to represent clay pits ;-) I used 5 sheets I think and some standard CD3 fills (dirt and stone). I added some effects and I got this result. But again, I can add them to the example so you can reverse-engineer them. They are a bit like the ridges I did in the example.End quote That would be great if you get the chance. So those are pits, not hills. Yeah, there seems to be one of those "is it two faces or a vase" optical illusions going on. . I had a similar problem awhile back with a cavern map I did as seen on this thread at the Cartographers Guild: http://forum.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=840
    • CommentAuthorMogul76
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2009 edited

The sample file helps a lot, Gandwarf, and I can understand why you don't want to spend much time on a tutorial.

Jaerdaph, were you trying to achieve something like this when you created your cavern map?

If yes, I can probably help (I used an "optical illusion" here, as most sheet effects are applied to the FLOOR instead of the WALL sheet).
    • CommentAuthorGandwarf
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2009 edited

This is a map I did a while ago, but I have recently started labeling my maps, encouraged by others. It really adds something. Also, as stated in another thread I am creating some tutorials. They are hosted in the tutorial section of the Cartographer's Guild, as the files are too big to post here: http://forum.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=3983
      withoeve_final_2.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2009

Thank you for sharing Gandwarf. I have been following your work, here and at the Cartographer's Guild. It is very generous of you to take the time to provide us with some tips and with that sample map. I must admit that, while I am enchanted with the beauty and style of your maps, I am truly impressed with your sense of design. What I find most striking is the range and variety of your cities. Can you tell us what you use for inspiration?

Many thanks,
    ~Dogtag
    • CommentAuthorGandwarf
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2009 edited

You saw my tutorials as well?

Since 2001 I have been working on a fantasy world and a couple of novels. It started really small, but it has evolved a lot and nowadays I have hundreds of thousands of words on paper. So I have a great backstory for my cities. Also I designed most of the cities with some unique features in mind, making sure each map would feel unique. Concetron is the capital and the palace is very old and located on a cliff. I simple built the city around it. Meerzicht is a fortress town. Sirilion is the most populous town in my world and located on the (steep) banks of a river. Miston, another map I am working on, is located on plains and its economy is based on cattle.

I live in the Netherlands and that means I am used to seeing a lot of old cities, giving me inspiration. This is one of the towns I grew up in for example:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Brielle_vesting_20050518.jpg

The Concetron map has canals like a lot of old cities in the Netherlands (Amsterdam, Leiden, etc).
    • CommentAuthorbonzer
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2009

Mogul - Looking at your cavern maps can you tell me how you managed to display the grid only in the caverns and not on the rest of the sheet? I am trying to do this with DD3 and Monsen has given me a coup[le of ideas to try. I was just wondering if there was really simple way that I have yet to discover (I am new to CC3 and add ons).

Gandwarf - I do wish you wouldn't keep posting these wonderful towns and cities! Very intimidating. (Big smile and tongue in cheek here). The truth is having seen what can be done led me to buy CD3 along with CC3 and DD3. Profantasy owe you a comission methinks. I will also be downloading your tutorial from The Cartographers Guild as soon as I have time to digest it.
    I have been looking at the Clay Pits and Jaerdaph's comment gave me an idea. Would it be less of an illusion if the pits got darker nearer the centre rather than lighter? Most holes are gloomy near the bottom, while most hills are lighter nearer the top. Also, perhaps some murky water or a sheen of dampness? I have no idea how, but you're the expert!Just a thought.

Bonzer
    • CommentAuthorMogul76
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2009

Simply use the "Copy to Sheet" command on the floor. Target sheet: GRID. Then, change the fill style to one of the "Square Grid" overlays which you will find under "Fill Styles/Symbol Fills". Command: "Edit Properties". This technique is described in one of the 2007 Annuals. I strongly recommend you to get all of them. They are an excellent investment.
    • CommentAuthorGandwarf
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2009

Well, some more thread resurrection. I created a new map this weekend :-)
      Tweeberg_profantasy.jpg
    • CommentAuthorHenrie61
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2009

Simply amazing.

Would love to see some zoomed in shots of the cementery and the estates.

And how did you do the numbers?