FT3 Gaia view anomally

On a previous map I reduced the temperature at the poles to create ice caps. Now no matter what in every map Gaia view the ice caps appear and look devoid of feature. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing but they are still there, no matter what. Even if the temperature is too high for the ice caps they still appear in Gaia view. Very frustrating, anyone have any idea how to fix this?

Comments

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    The Gaia view does not respond to changes in temperature or rainfall (In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have included that purely decorative shader).

You might be interested in exploring the Textured Climate shader. It colors each different climate type with a different image (texture).
  • Unfortunately the Gaia view did respond to the temperature shader from the climate view. When I used it to create ice caps in the climate view and switched to the gaia view the ice caps showed up. The problem is they never go away now, no matter what new map I create. No matter if I uninstall it and re install it. I uninstalled the entire cc3 suite including FT3 and cleaned out the bloat left in the registry. Re-installed only FT3 and checked out the gaia view. The friggen snow caps are still there. What am I missing? A file? A registry entry?
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Sorry, the Gaia view ALWAYS does ice caps. You might not have seen them the first time, but they'll have been there. I also suggest to take a look at the Textured Climate shader for more varied results.
  • So it does the same exact same looking ice caps for every random and non random world, which happens to look exactly like the ice cap outline I did intentionally on the climate shader, but with no texture?
  • gaia. The featureless part of the snow cap is what I did on a previous map but wont go away no matter what I do. So I figure I am missing a registry entry or a config file that is stored somewhere besides the home folder.
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    Looking at the code for the Gaia shader, it responds to only two user-adjustable parameters: altitude and sea level. If you have terrain above sea level in the polar regions, that terrain will move the ice caps out from their default 76.5 degrees (value is fixed in the code) latitude location. It is a feature (or bug, depending on your viewpoint) of the shader that solid ice is interpreted as a perfectly flat surface, be it in the polar regions or the tops of mountains.
  • Ok then. Thanks for the quick responses.
  • 10 months later
  • No matter what I do, I cannot remove Gaia from my map. when I first loaded FT3, Gaia was not turned on. Thinking it could be turned off of the normal view, I turned it on. This was a mistake as now, whenever I want to see a "normal" map, I cannot turn off Gaia. Is there any way to turn off Gaia to view the map in a normal, fresh-install form?
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    You should be able to simply switch to "Show Altitude" on the "Map" menu to turn Show Gaia off, all the different views are mutually exclusive.