Preserving hyperlinks when moving map to another computer

Is there any function to preserve the hyperlinks on a map if I move it to another PC? I have a map with hyperlinks to several notepad documents. I copied both the map and the folder of documents to another PC that also has CC3 but the links don't work anymore. Do I have no other choice than to redo all the links on the new PC?

Both PCs are on the same LAN.

Thanks!

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    If you made the hyperlinks with absolute paths, you'll need to either place them on the exact same file system path as on the old computer, or you will need to edit them.
    Usually, it is far better to use relative paths when making hyperlinks, as this makes it possible to move the map with supporting files around.

Start the path with a $-sign to make a path relative to the map's current directory.
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    The link commands attempt to use relative paths if they can. To see if your paths follow this, do View >> Show Hyperlinks then list one of them. If the path starts with a $, then you can maintain the relative file structure. If it starts with a hash, it will be relative to CC3; otherwise it's the absolute path. You can use Edit >> Numeric Edit to change each one.
  • Thanks guys. Just bought CC3 last weekend and am still exploring the features. Considering I upgraded from the original Campaign Mapper that came with D&D Core Rules 2.0 everything about CC3 is simply awesome.
  • 8 years later
  • Just recently I found that my hyperlinks won't work with a Fractal Terrains import that I did.

What is confusing is that they work with the old viewer I have. If I try open them in CC3+ nothing happens.
    I select Show Hyperlinks and they are there.

I hope there is a simple fix. There are about 678 maps that I have worked on.

Never had any type of problem when I made them all and double checked every single one of them twice.

Thanks for any advice.
    There shouldn't be any reason why they don't work in CC3+. What kind of paths are they? Are they map relative (starting with a $-sign)?
  • I just checked a bunch and they read in purple print
    Load $ ___________

I just don't understand that they do nothing when I click on them. Maybe CC3+ picked up a glitch. Maybe I will re-install.

Going to check with cc3 right away. I am sure I installed that in here somewhere as well.
    I assume they said ~LOADM and not just LOAD?

If you manually create a new hyperlink in a map (using the link with map command), does that work as it should?

Also, check under Tools -> Options, and make sure that 'Links and hotspots are active' is checked.
  • That was the ticket.
    I wonder if that changed to default off when I did the last update.

Thanks a ton Monsen. You really deserve some amazing things to come your way due to how much you have and continue to help people here.