Un-named WIP

CC3+ was a very nice improvement. The new Schley style has my creative juices flowing, so I'm digging up an old work in progress that I had abandoned. I thought I would post it here to see what kind of feedback I would get.

So what do you think so far?

I

Comments

• Mateus090985Mateus090985 Traveler
    edited May 2015
    Lovely landmass! It was exported from Fractal Terrains?
  • Mateus beat me to it: Fractal Terrains? The long, narrow shape reminds me of that. This looks like a great base to start with. What are the dimensions?
  • IthrilIthril Traveler
    Of course it's Fractal Terrains! Unfortunately I've never been able to tweak the landscapes produced by that program into topography that I felt was very accurate to real world conditions. It's always seemed too choppy and stringy to me. I'm prolly just missing some setting somewhere.

The area is gigantic. I wanted something on the scale of World of Greyhawk so that I would have room to put a lot of different things. The overall dimensions are 3,900 miles East to West by 2,500 miles North to South.

Thank you for the compliment on the shape of the landmass too. I have another that I did by hand in CorelDRAW several years ago which is actually larger, and just as detailed; unfortunately, I don't know where the files for that one are.

I
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited November 2022
    Change land percentage and sea percentage in FT3 to get larger continents. You might look at my Traveller site. I have 518 FT3 worlds there. I am still looking for my notes on settings I used to make each one.
    My Traveller site
  • IthrilIthril Traveler
    Posted By: JimPChange land percentage and sea percentage in FT3 to get larger continents.
    You misunderstood. my landmasses appear to be made of bundles of wire, wrapped in shrinkwrap. The size, and proportions of land to water are fine, and I can control that without trouble.
    Here is a screencap, close up, of an area in the original FT generated terrain. Note: this is AFTER all sorts of incise flow, fill basins, etc.

I
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    If you zoom in far enough on the ridged multifractal types, that's what you'll see. FT has a fixed number of calculation iterations that it performs and it eventually runs out of precision. FT is designed to produce maps hundreds or thousands of miles across; trying to force it to work at the 5-mile scale will get artifacts such as these. FT's editing features (where incise flow, fill basins, and so on) work on the editing resolution that you've set. If you use the default 256-wide editing resolution on a 25000 mile circumference world, then each editing unit will affect a space of 25000/256, or about 100 miles across. Even a maxed-out world with about a 5000 editing resolution, the result will still be about 25000/5000 or 5 miles per editing sample. That will be the smallest-size change that you can make in the world.
  • IthrilIthril Traveler
    edited May 2015
    JSlayton.... Thank you for designing these great programs, Fractal Terrains and Wilbur. They have been an inspiration for me for a long time, and I've always wanted to thank you directly.

I also wanted to ask... Ridgenet appears to be offline. Will it be returning?

The explanation you have given was my other suspicion. I will try not to be so demanding on the small scale. Still, even at a larger scale (and with editing resolutions pushed to the max), it seems the 'fibers' are obvious, more so than in renders I've seen other people do. Could there be something else I'm doing, or not doing right?

Thank you again.
    I
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    The owner of Ridgenet (Mediacom) decided to permanently down the site without notice. Wilbur has moved to http://www.fracterra.com/software.html as its new home. I may get around to updating the content one of these years.

It's possible that the number of octaves has become reduced on your map, which will make the individual layers more visible (the algorithm is to generate a layer of twisty noise, then generate another layer of noise at half the feature size that gets added to the original noise, and so on - the number of layers is the number of octaves defined for the world). On the World Settings property sheet, select the "Fractal Function" tab and then click the "Parms" button. The number of octaves should be around 13.