Vector map in CD3

This is an old CD Pro map converted to CD3 with sheet effects added, but using no bitmap fills or symbols.

The CC3 source is attached. Enjoy.

Comments

• Nice work.

But the original version looks slightly better to me, although that may be due to the fact, that I own a printed copy. Reminds me, its quite a while since I played DSA the last time.
  • Just out of curiousity: Did you do all city maps for DSA from the first Havena Box till the Al'Anfa Box, Ralf?
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Posted By: GreeboJust out of curiousity: Did you do all city maps for DSA from the first Havena Box till the Al'Anfa Box, Ralf?
    In fact I did none of them. I just created a color version of the Kuslik map, because there wasn't a published color map. I scanned the b&w white map and redid it in CC2. I was quite happy with how close I came to the style of the official maps and wanted to do more, but never got around to it.

There are still abandoned versions of Lowangen and Thorwal maps languishing on my hard disc. :P
  • LatharionLatharion Traveler
    edited October 2008
    I have to say that the new effects that CC3 offers compared to CC2/Pro are quite impressive. The gradient fills really help define the forests and water regions and the shadow effects give it a very pleasant feel. I'll have to try that on my cities! Thank you for showing us some of the powerful possibilites that CC3 can bring to our existing maps!

Sheldon Erickson
    aka Latharion
  • How were the trees created? Are they bitmaps I assume? Where can you point me to how I can go about creating trees from scratch like these... this may seem like a basic question but I figured I would ask. Symbols and Bitmaps are areas I am not knowledgable in when it comes to how they are created in this software. I have extensive CAD training and practicle experience so that isn't such an issue when it comes to the common tool types all CAD applications tend to use (former architectural draftsman).
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited October 2008
    There are no bitmaps in that map. The trees are ordinary vector symbols from the CD2 Pro catalog "Miscellaneous" (Which is still included in CD3). To give them the appearance they have in the image above, they have been given a shadow and a slight blur.

How to create symbols is found in chapter 12 (page 67) of the complete CC2 manual (downloadable from your registration page if you don't already have it). If you are looking for tips on those trees specifically, I'll leave that to a better mapper than me, but you can study the composition of any existing symbol by using the explode command on them.