Weird CC3+ Pre-defined All Black Template Bug

I went to chose a predefined template and the images it was showing for all of them was just black.

I tried this with different categories of templates and the issue persisted.

I exited out CC3+ and restarted it and the issue continued. Alter trying again to select several types of predefined templates the images showed had images were showing where I was only seeing black images before.

I'm not exactly sure what was causing the predefined templates to not show an images of them correctly before.

Comments

• I had this bug when CC3+ was first released.
    The first Update fixed it.
    The DD3+ update broke it again.
    The CD3+ Update seems to have fixed it again for me. At least for now.
  • I have the same bug. It worked fine for a few days after my CC3+ install, and then suddenly they went black and haven't recovered :-)

Look fine when you actually select a template and load it up; it's only in the "Browse Files" dialogue showing the template choices that it happens.
  • 2 months later
  • Same here, I have CC3+, DD3+ CD3+ and predefine templates appear black, not to mention drawing tools behaving funny.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    What happens if you do a "Cache All" with the black preview showing?

If that doesn't fix things, please try to delete the following file from your Template folder: ~BRINFO.FC$

This will be in your CC3 program data folder (usually c:\ProgramData\Profantasy\CC3Plus\) under Templates and the subfolder for the type of map you're using. This will allow the cached images to refresh. Any changes?
  • Cache all does not do anything.

Deleting ~BRINFO.FC$ do work, however it will work only once:

delete de file, open CC3+, create a dungeon with a template : fine.
    exit cc3+, restart it, create a dungeon, all templates are back in black.
  • Interesting - I find the opposite behaviour with ~BRINFO.FC$, as follows:

(1) Overland Maps - the "black preview" error appears as discussed. Press "Cache All", no effect, either immediately or on restart; the "black preview" error still happens. Overland maps templates directory has no ~BRINFO.FC$ in it.
    (2) Dungeon Maps - the preview works correctly. Check in the dungeon templates folder; ~BRINFO.FC$ is there. Go back to CC3+, open preview again (working), press "Cache All". Close CC3+. Go to templates directory, ~BRINFO.FC$ has gone. Re-open CC3+, "black preview" error now happens with dungeon maps template selector, too.

So....if I can get the right ~BRINFO.FC$ back in my Overland and Dungeon templates folders, maybe the previews will come back! :-)

auryx
  • 1 month later
  • Are things any closer to figuring this out?

The new Windows10 drivers for my Laptop have fixed all of the graphics oddities I've been experiencing - except for this one. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Does everyone see this or just some of us?

Oh well, I'm just curious. It won't really matter until some of the Annuals get updated for Plus and there are more predefined previews to choose from.
  • 8 months later
  • I have this problem too now, any solutions not listed here already. The ones listed do not work for me.
  • VintyriVintyri Newcomer
    This simply is a CC3+ problem. It's occurred for me with just about every update or add-on that I've installed. It occurred again and still is there after installing Perspectives. I get regular complaints from users who have the same thing happen after installing the Vintyri templates. It's a serious CC3+ bug that needs to be fixed.
  • that's one bug I've been lucky to avoid, I believe
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    I recommend turning off the "always cache" checkbox on the "Browse files" page of the new template wizard. Then exit CC3 and delete all of the cache files in the data directory.

A quick pair of commands that will delete the cache files for the default install location is:

attrib -r -h %ProgramData%\ProFantasy\~BRINFO.FC$ /s
    del %ProgramData%\ProFantasy\~BRINFO.FC$ /s

enter these commands in a batch file and run them or just enter each at a command prompt. The attrib command makes the cache files read/write and not hidden, while the del command deletes those files.

As always, please make a backup before doing such things.
    Hmmmm ... OK.

I'm a retired programmer. I understand everything you (jslayton) said. However, the DOS era is long past and I suspect (maybe I'm wrong) that the number of people here who know how to write batch files or even know what they are is diminishing rapidly. So here's another way to do the same thing:

1. Turn off the "always cache" checkbox on the "Browse files" page of the new template wizard. Then exit CC3+.

2. Open the Windows File Explorer (simply Explorer in older versions).

3. Go to the CC3+ folder Data folders\ProFantasy\CC3Plus\Templates\

4. In each of the following lower level folders, delete the file named ~BRINFO.FC$:

Data folders\ProFantasy\CC3Plus\Templates\Cities (if you have CD3)
    Data folders\ProFantasy\CC3Plus\Templates\Dungeons (if you have DD3)
    Data folders\ProFantasy\CC3Plus\Templates\Overland Maps
    Data folders\ProFantasy\CC3Plus\Templates\Perspectives (if you have PER3)
    Data folders\ProFantasy\CC3Plus\Templates\Symbol Catalogs

This worked for me, and it also worked for several Vintyri (TM) Cartographic Collection users who sent us trouble reports regarding this black screen phenomenon.

That notwithstanding, this issue still is a result of a nuisance bug that should be fixed.
    I agree that it's a bug that should be fixed. It would be fixed If I could reliably repeat it on my development machine, I assure you.
    Posted By: jslaytonI agree that it's a bug that should be fixed. It would be fixed If I could reliably repeat it on my development machine, I assure you.
    Just for the record, Joe ... no criticism of you or the good work that you've been doing with CC3+ were or are intended.
    My point was much more about not being able to find a reliable test case than it was about being defensive. I have never been able to catch the code in question actually failing, but the black previews sometimes appear on my dev machine.

I should probably implement a command to clear all of the cache files directly from within CC3.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Is there a way to check if a cache file is corrupted? Perhaps simply auto-delete them if so?
    Posted By: jslaytonI have never been able to catch the code in question actually failing, but the black previews sometimes appear on my dev machine.
    I remember such cases well with Visual C++ and Visual Basic programs I developed. I really enjoy the way retirement freed me from such problems!
    The problem is that the file is perfectly valid, but the data that goes into the file is black. I suppose that a test for black images might work.
  • 4 months later
  • Has this been fixed yet? I'm just trying to learn how to use this application and black boxes aren't helping :(
  • I get the black boxes as well for CA3+, but they don't affect anything negatively when you click on them.
  • I unchecked Always Cache then started a variety of new maps using predefined templates and closing the software in between each new map. By the fourth or fifth new map the images came back and have remained functioning since.

I've done clean installs several times in the past few months and had the black templates each time. The above fixed it every time. Make sure to start each map type that you have available (overland, dungeon, city, etc). Hopefully it works for you.
  • Posted By: ShessarI unchecked Always Cache then started a variety of new maps using predefined templates and closing the software in between each new map. By the fourth or fifth new map the images came back and have remained functioning since.

I've done clean installs several times in the past few months and had the black templates each time. The above fixed it every time. Make sure to start each map type that you have available (overland, dungeon, city, etc). Hopefully it works for you.
    This is a good solution, but I find it more work and more time-consuming than simply erasing the ~BRINFO.FC$ files. Be that as it may, those who are seeking the path to success now can choose among two of them.