Make a detailed map out of a subsection of a larger map

Hi all.

I started a new D&D campaign recently. I created a large scale continent map using the Pär Lindström Fantasy Worlds mapping style from Cartographer Annual 3. What I would like to do now is take sections of the map and create detailed regional maps out of them.

The Fantasy Worlds mapping style isn't particularly well suited to detailed regional maps, so I would likely need to switch to a different mapping style.

Is there a way for me to basically "copy" a section of my map into a new map that's at a smaller scale, and switch to a different mapping style so I can start filling in details?

Thank you for any assistance you can offer.

Jamie

Comments

• Just do a search for 'large map to small map'. There are several discussions on that.
  • 2 months later
  • another thing to consider, backup your larger map, and before you do the large map to small map copy, it is possible to zoom in and add the higher details to that area, and copy all that information over to the new map. You will still have the original, less cluttered map, but you will also have the first step towards a much more detailed regional map if you opt to made similar additions to other areas, and all of the higher detailed information could be stored on a large scale map

You may end up making some extra sheets to hide the higher detailed features for simpler display of the larger map, but it is an option to consider