Erase tool not picking up individual symbols and lines (CC3+)

I have 99% finished a complex map but want to tweak it a bit. This involves deleting the odd symbol, BUT the erase tool is suddenly selecting everything on a sheet, typically the Symbols sheet but also Roads etc.

Everything was working fine 4 hours ago when I turned everything off. Then 2 hrs ago I decided to tweak things and turned my computer on and opened CC3+. Now it isn't.

Every time I click to select something the command bar asks for the sheet name. When I right-click and then press OK, everything has been erased. I don't know what's going on.

Please help. I have given all the info I have.

Helen

Comments

• Hi Helen. The last part of your comment makes me unsure of whether my answer will help, but I'll throw out my advice when using erase.

I've found that when I want to erase a specific item, I hide the sheets that the nearby entities are on so that I can isolate the item.

For example, lets say I have several symbols near a wall in a room in a dungeon. I would go to the command window where you can select or hide sheets, and then hide the walls and floors. Once I press OK on that window, I should have those symbols by themselves with the walls and floors gone from view. Now I can select it without accidentally erasing my walls or floors as well. Same thing on say an overland map. I've had times where I wanted to erase a town icon and put in a ruin or something like that. First, I would hide any roads, terrain, or texts to isolate the symbol for the town, then erase it.

You don't have to do all that of course, but if you find your eraser catching other entities, it is a good way to pinpoint the things you want gone. I've also found that clicking the bottom edge or the bottom left corner of an entity seems to be the best place to catch it as well. On larger entities, such as terrain fills, I've found you basically have to click on an edge.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    It sounds like your selection method is messed up - possibly by an aborted macro. Go to Tools > Options and set the selection method back to "Dialog or popup" (or simply type SELBYD at the command line). Does that help?