Creating oval maps

I'm trying to make some maps for a 1st edition Metamorphosis Alpha game. In the 1st edition, the different levels of the space ship are oval in shape, and I'd like to create a map that is overall oval in shape. Right now, all the maps I try to make are rectangular. Is there a way to create oval maps?

Comments

• Are you saying that you want the dimensions of the map to be described by an oval? If so, that is not possible.

You can, however, create an oval on the background map and constrain the area of the map to the oval. This is no different than if you were to draw a large oval on a sheet of paper. Is that what you are after?

-------------------------------
    R A Jacobs
    Learning CC3+ @ Funny-Shaped Dice
  • That wasn't my original meaning, but yes, actually, I think that will work fine. I was considering maybe doing it with the cosmographer add on (as it is a giant ship) but as levels on the space ship from Metamorphosis Alpha are 50 miles, by 25 miles, and is actually filled with natural landscapes, like jungles and mountains, I was thinking about doing it in the original campaign cartographer tool.

So how do I draw a perfect oval, 50 miles by 25 miles in campaign cartographer?

Thank you, BTW, for your help. I greatly appreciate it.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    It's probably easiest to set a snap grid (10 mile grid, 2 snaps) and then use the Ellipse command (right-click the Circle button on the right toolbar to access it).

Alternatively you can type in your coordinates, use the pre-fix @to set relative coordinates:

- Start the Ellipse command (ELIPP)
    - click the center point.
    - type in @25,0 for the x axis endpoint (half the width)
    - type in @0,12.5 for y axis endpoint (half the height)

Voila, exact measurement ellipse done.