Dungeon work with CC3+

Hi!

This is my first try at my favourite kinf of maps - battlemaps! - with CC3+ though I started with CC3.

Porting the symbols was just copying the folder in the Application Datas/Profantasy CC3+ folder and I could use all the symbols I needed.
I could also add CA46 tools and buttons with not too much trouble.

There are many sheets and many effects so working with effects on was not an option after a while, but the effects applied pronto anyway, compared to CC3 when going upstairs to make some coffee was often a good idea after turning the effects on on such maps.
Exporting to png was also quicker than ever and I really appreciate the pop-up showing the process thought the labelling is a bit confusing...

One disturbing thing is that the small dots of the screen grid dissapear quite often and no clicking on the GRID button could bring them back. Cancelling a command sometimes circumvents this.

Well, here's the map in full resolution (7.4 Mb) .
Daniel Pereda De Pablo

Comments

• DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited February 2015
    *picks jaw up from the floor*      Well, just when I think you may have pushed ProFantasy software to its limits, you present us with something new.

Wow. Just... wow.

Did you have to draw all the architectural nuances manually, such as the doors, windows, columns, and pilasters? The columns and pilasters, especially, look amazing. How tall are the walls? I presume the wall, pillar, etc. fills are done with shaded polygons? That looks like a lot of painstaking selections and settings. I can't imagine what that would be like for anyone short of a math wizard! image

Bravo on another masterpiece.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    Actually, that door and doorway on the "south" wall is pretty mind-blowing.

~Dogtag
  • Wow this is gorgeous.

When I saw the walls I was wondering how tall are they and how all the architectural details were done.

Would love to see youu do a tutorial on how you did it.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    You're .... woa ... I ... *is speechless*
  • Oh my.

JdR, you continue to cause awe, and I continue to fail my saves. I am speechless.
  • edited February 2015
    Thanks a lot! *blush*
    Posted By: DogtagDid you have to draw all the architectural nuances manually, such as the doors, windows, columns, and pilasters?
    I always start with line work at ground level, then everything is scaled up, so of course you need to trim and break a lot of entities, even erase the hidden ones. You always have to figure out what is seen and what is hidden.
    Posted By: DogtagI presume the wall, pillar, etc. fills are done with shaded polygons?
    Yes, see this thread .
    Posted By: DogtagHow tall are the walls?
    15 feet high. I wanted to suggest the start of the arches. The floor fill style displays 5' wide squares.
    Posted By: Dogtagmath wizard!
    Math was only involved in the theory and writing the macros for the arches and stairs. If you know how to use a formula, math should be minimal. What you really need is a good notion of perspective (seen/hidden, front/back etc).
    Posted By: Jay_NOLAWould love to see youu do a tutorial on how you did it.
    In fact I was on my way to write such a tutorial when CC3+ came along and I wanted to play with it... Now I have to make the text CC3+ compatible...

Btw did someone else experienced vanishing grid dots with CC3+ or is it just my lame screen?
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    Look for any "blur" effects, disable them, and try a redraw.
  • edited February 2015
    Posted By: Simon RogersLook for any "blur" effects, disable them, and try a redraw.
    I open the attached template without any effect applied (in fact no effects in the template).
    The GRID button is down but no dot on screen.
    Without zooming in or out, I select the LINE tool and draw some lines. Dots appear.
    I perform a redraw, dots vanish...

BTW I have already filled the bug form from the download page about this.
  • ClerconClercon Betatester Traveler
    I'm amazed! Are we really using the same program Joachim?
    And hopefully we can see this style as an annual in the future, Ralf, Simon, hint, hint :)
  • edited February 2015
    Thanks Clercon.
    Posted By: ClerconAre we really using the same program Joachim?
    Sure, all I used was
    CC3/CC3+
    Symbols from CA19: Light Sources
    Symbols from CA50: More Dungeon Symbols
    Fill styles from CA54:John Roberts Dungeon
    Fill styles from CA96 : Krom's Village Diorama
    Symbols freely available here

The only things not available are the walkway fill style and the vegetable symbols.
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    Posted By: Joachim de Ravenbel
    Posted By: Simon RogersLook for any "blur" effects, disable them, and try a redraw.
    I open the attached template without any effect applied (in fact no effects in the template).
    TheGRIDbutton is down but no dot on screen.
    Without zooming in or out, I select theLINEtool and draw some lines. Dots appear.
    I perform a redraw, dots vanish...

BTW I have already filled the bug form from the download page about this.
    Thank you! We've reproduced the bug now and will look at it.
    (I was actually suggesting you remove the blur in order to speed up the redraws)
  • Holy hell those maps are incredible. If I even attempt to think how to do these I will fall off my chair and start twitching I just know it. Great stuff!!
  • 22 days later
  • edited February 2015
    Thanks Mappy!
    Posted By: Jay_NOLAWould love to see youu do a tutorial on how you did it.
    Here you are. First part... Let me know what you think of it...
  • Wow, incredibly cool battle map. Makes me wish I had this back when I was running my Bloodstone Pass campaign and needed a church for the town of Bloodstone. I can't wait to play around with your tutorial and see what I can come up with.

Very well done indeed!
  • Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Traveler
    I had some time to try out the tutorial last night and had some questions about it.

1.) What template are you using and what map settings does it have? The tutorial doesn't mention this.

2.) What are your grid and snap settings?

Thanks.
  • 1. I usually start with a relatively empty template (see attached, I placed the file in the ...\Template\Other folder) and add fill styles from various styles as I need them.

The process is described in the Chapel tutorial. There are so many cool styles but I have no scruples mixing them, and sometimes add my own.
    For example, in the Perspective tutorial I use floors from Jon Roberts dungeon (annual #54) and walls from Krom Dioramas (annual #96).

2. The grid settings depend on your own need. I use a 5' square grid with various snap divisions (2, 4 or 5).