CC3+ Problems

Running on Windows 8.1 64 bit

When I first loaded the software everything was fine. After trying out several test maps the New Map Dialog lost its previews as seen in the image below.

Comments

• edited January 2015
    I tried to do a Repair Install to see if that helped but could not complete the reinstall do to the error shown in the image.
  • I did an uninstall/reinstall and ended up with the New Map Predefined Templates working-sort of- the Mike Schley Inks showed up as purple.

When I tried a new map a second time, I ended up with the blank template images again.
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    It looks like the preview cache has become corrupted. There should be a (it may be one per directory) hidden file named ~BRINFO.FC$ in the templates directory. Delete this file and see if things work better. If the problem persists, please turn off the Always cache checkbox, exit CC3+, delete the ~BRINFO.FC$, and restart CC3. You may experience slightly reduced performance of the new drawing wizard with caching turned off.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    I think the purple Mike Schley Ink templates are normal, though. The purple is just a solid color. When I've tested the Schley Ink style I always see purple in the preview but the maps open as white. I can't explain it, but that's been my experience. Maybe Ralf or Simon knows why.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • You are correct that there is a problem with the ~BRINFO.FC$. When first installed I am able to see the file, but once I create the first map the file is gone. It does this every time I uninstall/reinstall.
    I even tried the install as admin with the same results.

I'll have to assume that there is something on my PC that is messing with this, since no one else is having this problem. I'll post when I figure it out just in case some else runs into it. Thanks for the info j.
  • Posted By: DogtagI think the purple Mike Schley Ink templates are normal, though. The purple is just a solid color. When I've tested the Schley Ink style I always see purple in the preview but the maps open as white. I can't explain it, but that's been my experience. Maybe Ralf or Simon knows why.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
    Thanks for that info Dogtag, but I'd swear that with my first install the Inks preview was white just like the actual template. I may be remembering wrong?
    The ~BRINFO.FC$ file should be created during the preview process. If it's there when you install the software and before you run CC3+, then the installer has an extra file.
  • Posted By: jslaytonThe ~BRINFO.FC$ file should be created during the preview process. If it's there when you install the software and before you run CC3+, then the installer has an extra file.
    Here's what I figured out so far:

The ~BRINFO.FC$ is there immediately after install, before CC3+ is ever run.
    If I delete this file before running the first time, everything works as it should ... Until I exit and start again.
    This file is in all of the templates directories before ever being run and I have this problem with all Predefined Templates.

Wondering if I have a corrupt installer. Will download again and reinstall again.
    You be experiencing an issue with Windows DPI scaling. If you can, try setting the dpi scaling for your system to 100% and see if the problem persists. Win 8.1 likes to use different DPI scaling by default for high-dpi screens as are found on some laptops or newer monitors.
  • Nope. Changing the DPI scaling doesn't fix it. A fresh download and reinstall doesn't fix it. I'm stumped.

Oh well, guess I'll just have to deal with not being able to see the new map template previews for now. Thanks for your help jslayton
  • The exact same thing is happening to me, too. I followed the suggestion of jslayton and now ALL the thumbnails are black.
  • Got it to work.

After lowering the DPI Scaling to 100% nothing changed.

I then lowered my screen resolution a couple of notches so that I could actually see what I was doing and the previews came back.
  • Posted By: ShessarI then lowered my screen resolution a couple of notches so that I could actually see what I was doing and the previews came back.
    If that's what it takes, then you've found a definite bug. Reducing screen resolution below that which is optimal for the monitor never should be necessary.

I'm curious what results I'll get. But I just haven't had time yet to give CC3+ a fair shot.
  • Out of interest, do you have a linux background, or are you security conscious? I.e. do you run windows (7 or greater) as a User or as an Administrator?

If you run as a User, do you start CC3+ by double clicking the icon or by right-clicking and then running as Administrator?

When you install a program as a User, a little popup asks for the password for an Admin account, and once given the install is completed as the Admin account. If CC3+ deletes and recreates the preview file, and your not running as Admin then the issue might be that your account doesn't have the permission to delete and recreate the file.

I've not had a chance to install and test out CC3+ yet, but I have a few programs on my computer that seem to have been developed on the assumption that the user is logging into an Admin account rather than being security concious and logging in as User. Not saying that this is the case for CC3+, but that's the sort of error I usually see when running certain post-windows 7 apps as a User rather than an Admin.
  • I have loaded and reloaded CC3+ twice and for the life of me I cannot find the Mike Schley overland maps. I've tried both creating a new map and looking through the directories. Undoubtedly, its something simple I am overlooking.

Thanks.
  • Posted By: 01iOut of interest, do you have a linux background, or are you security conscious?
    Out of curiosity, to whom are you addressing this question?
  • 01i01i
    edited January 2015
    Posted By: VintyriOut of curiosity, to whom are you addressing this question?
    Shessar

[edit] I didn't see the "Got it to work." comment though
  • Sorry for the delayed response.

O1i, I am installing and running under an admin account. In fact, I'm not sure what the problem is. I booted up my system today and the problem had returned.

At this point I've uninstalled and reinstalled so many times and tried changing so many different display and folder settings that I've screwed something up. I'm going to do a fresh OS install then see what happens from there. Since there only seems to be a couple of us having this problem I am going to begin with the assumption that there is a problem with my system. Maybe a fresh OS will fix it.

I'll be back in a day or two with a report and figure it from there.

Thanks for all of the thoughts and input everyone.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    Posted By: ShessarI'm going to do a fresh OS install then see what happens from there.
    Shessar = hardcore mapper! image
  • I log into my user account on my Win 8.1 laptop, but software is installed as admin.
  • I'll wait until Shessar does the fresh OS install before I try that. Hopefully (for my sake) that won't fix the problem because a fresh OS install for me is going to be painfully long and complicated - I have too much software that needs to be reinstalled and reactivated when I do that.
  • I'm mostly done with the reinstall. The problem of the blank previews remains. It works on initial install, but once I restart CC3+ it stops working.

I'm tired. I give up.

Would a touch screen have any bearing on this? I wouldn't think so, but odd things do happen...
  • I don't have a touch screen. So, I would say no it doesn't have any bearing on this.
    There does indeed seem to be a problem (I'm not sure what I broke, but it was something) that causes CC3+ to improperly reload its cache files from disk. If the cache files are present, CC3+ will load the files and will fail to display the previews. If the cache file is missing, CC3+ will create an in-memory cache for the previews that displays correctly; that cache is written to ~BRINFO.FC$. It's when CC3+ tries to read the cache that things go awry and black previews appear.

So far, I have had 100% success if I delete the preview cache file(s) and restart CC3+. However, the caches will have problems on the next restart of CC3+ and show black previews again. Annoying, but I'm trying to figure out why it's doing it. I find that making a C:\ProgramData\ProFantasy\CC3Plus\Templates\cacheflush.bat file makes things a little easier for the very near term. In the file are the two lines

attrib -h ~brinfo.fc$ /s
    del ~brinfo.fc$ /s

The first one removes the hidden attribute on all of the preview caches in all of the template subdirectories, while the second lines deletes those now-visible files. It's certainly not correct behavior, but it's a way to get the previews back for a session.
  • GatharGathar Traveler
    I have already used a trick with another software to prevent it from creating an unwanted file: Create a folder with the same name as the file, in the same place (and possibly with some write access protections). With luck, when the program tries to open it to write some stuff into it, it will fail, but the program might handle this case and just continue with ignoring the failure.
  • edited January 2015
    Posted By: jslaytonI find that making a C:\ProgramData\ProFantasy\CC3Plus\Templates\cacheflush.bat file makes things a little easier for the very near term. In the file are the two lines

attrib -h ~brinfo.fc$ /s
    del ~brinfo.fc$ /s

The first one removes the hidden attribute on all of the preview caches in all of the template subdirectories, while the second lines deletes those now-visible files. It's certainly not correct behavior, but it's a way to get the previews back for a session.
    The batch file works perfectly and will do just fine for now. Thanks for your help!

If anyone else decides to use the batch file, don't just copy and paste the above, make sure to hit enter for a line break after each line of code but no blank lines.
  • Hmmm... I installed CC3+ in a different folder; c:\Profantasy\CC3Plus

Would that make a difference ?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: JimPWould that make a difference ?
    No. Those commands are relative to the current directory, so that doesn't matter.

Just to clear up a bit of confusion on the installation directory of CC3+. CC3+ does not allow you to change the installation directory, so your CC3+ installation is in c:\program files(x86)\ProFantasy\CC3Plus. What the installer lets you change is the CC3+ data directory, the directory where all user-editable content is stored (Which does make up the bulk of the installation though). Notice that this change also makes all the old advice about installing to a different location completely obsolete, since user data no longer is installed in the Program Files folder.
  • Just to clear up a bit of confusion on the installation directory of CC3+. CC3+ does not allow you to change the installation directory, so your CC3+ installation is in c:\program files(x86)\ProFantasy\CC3Plus. What the installer lets you change is the CC3+ data directory, the directory where all user-editable content is stored (Which does make up the bulk of the installation though). Notice that this change also makes all the old advice about installing to a different location completely obsolete, since user data no longer is installed in the Program Files folder.

Ooh -- that's not good. I have a tiny solid state drive for C: that I try not to load much onto. I really don't want CC3+ loaded on this disk, even if the data is being placed elsewhere. Can that be changed before the CC3+ release is finalized?

Steve
    CC3+ only loads the executable and a very few support files into your system's Program Files directory (my install is about 100MB; 77MB looks to be the help file). The bulk of the install (the artwork) goes into a directory that you can change.