CC3+ Error on start after install

I get an error every time I start CC3+ (fresh install, Windows 7 64bit)

FCW32.exe
"The Program can't start because VCOMP120.DLL is missing from your computer.
Try reinstalling the program to fix this issue."

Followed by another popup
CC3
Error 0000007E loading XP Module:
Effects.dll

Then CC3+ sometimes will start after that but black screen except for controls.

Tried reinstall, and running as both admin and normal user, same results.

Comments

• Followup:

I installed CC3+ in a Win764bit virtual machine with a clean install of Win7 and it worked.

I found that my desktop was missing the vcomp120.dll in System32 directory that was in the VM. I copied that over and CC3+ starts without error.
    BUT:
    I have to run it as administrator or all catalogs, screens, etc are black.

1st question: Is there a Microsoft redistributable runtime I am missing? I assumed that vcomp120 would be 2012 VS redist, but I have that installed, and it did not provide for the missing DLL.

2nd question: what configuration/changes have to be made to be able to run as a standard user? (else why provide for a "install for all users" option during install.)
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    1. The 12 in vcomp120.dll actually refers to Visual studio version 12.0, which is Visual Studio 2013. So the Redist you need should be Visual C++ Redsit 2013, not 2012

2. There shouldn't be any additional steps, but make sure that all users have full access to the CC3+ data directory (The path you chose during installation). By default, this is c:\ProgramData\ProFantasy\CC3Plus
  • Thanks for the heads up on the correct VStudio redist. For some reason I had it in my head that the logic of a 12 in the file name should have been associated with version 2012. But I see now in the DLL file itself has a product string of VS2013.. duh.

I installed CC+ to a directory on a different partition instead of default, but permissions are correct.
    I am now able to run it as a standard user. I continued to have a black screen/no Tool Tips/no catalogs, until I chose File->New and created a new blank map.
    Since then it has been starting up with everything loading/displaying fine. (running as standard user)

Thanks,
    -bg
  • edited January 2015
    1. I installed it that appeared to go with out a hitch
    2. I start it and I get the splash screen and the tip of the day
    3. I close the tip of the day and 2 secs later Windows reports that "fwc32.exe has stopped working"
    4. Try again but run as administrator see step two to three
    5. Give up report problem.

Oh dear can not try and test.

Sad Wookiee
  • OK so I un-installed it.

Then stopped my antivirus software and reinstalled but I ran the installation with "Run as Administrator"

Seems to be working now.

Not so sad Wookiee but have to ask did I miss something in the installation guide that said you must run as administrator to install this?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: WookieeNot so sad Wookiee but have to ask did I miss something in the installation guide that said you must run as administrator to install this?
    It shouldn't be necessary to manually do a run as admin, because the CC3+ installer explicitly requires admin permissions, which will force Windows to run it with admin privileges anyway.
  • edited January 2015
    <removed> redundant
  • 7 months later
  • defendidefendi Betatester Newcomer
    I'm getting the effects.dll error now. It was running okay. I'm on Windows 10 so an update might have wrecked it. Should I try to reinstall?
  • defendidefendi Betatester Newcomer
    I reinstalled Update 2 and that fixed it.
  • 3 months later
  • edited December 2015
    What is the trick to getting this to install correctly on Windows 10 without having the effects.Dll error every time the app starts? I've seriously installed and uninstalled 8 times trying different things to no avail. The installer says I'm missing MS VC Runtime 12, (and says it will install the prereqs), then proceeds to install everything. But it still shows that error when I install again. I've tried installing MSVC 2013 C++ runtime 32 bit and 64 bit, MSVC 2012 update 4 runtime, etc., and nothing fixes the problem.

edit: Rebooted, tried a 9th time and it finally worked. The blood sacrifice might have helped, too.