Battlemap Mage Knight Dungeons

I've always been a big fan of Mage Knight Dungeons. I enjoy the simple rules, fast pace, tactics, and overall fun that my friends/family and I have playing it. When I moved from USA to UK I took my figures but gave my maps and tiles away to some friends. Now in the past I would make some maps using CC2 Pro and they where ok and usable but lacked that extra something that the professional maps had.

Now with CC3, DD3 and the July and September 2008 Annual I can make some really nice MKD Battlemaps!

So I'm happy to show you my first of many maps for MKD

DC01 MKD Map

Now I've been able to save it as a rectangle png at 3000x1950 pixels (roughly 100 dpi) then shrink it to the proper 30" x 19.5" map size. It's much sharper and clearer than saving it at 72dpi which is 2160 x 1404 pixels, although no resizing is needed at that size. CC3 does tend to crash when I try 6000 x 3900 pixels which should give me 200 dpi. I think I did those correctly.

I also thought of saving in 8 rectangle png files allowing for a larger dpi on a smaller area so CC3 would not crash on me, then stitching them back together in Photoshop. However when I did that the lighting was actually different than when the map was viewed at full size. I thought I read a discussion on the forum about that, but have not found it yet.

Anyways I can't wait to get more Black and Magenta ink so I can print this map off and see how it looks in print! After I do that I will be placing the map on my website in three formats.
  • 30"x19.5" png image if you want to get it printed professionally
  • Standard Tiles which would be 8 7.5"x7.5" tiles and 4 7.5"x4.5" tiles in pdf
  • Page Format allowing you to print out eight pages to mount on mat board, in a pdf.
Not only can I not wait to make more, but in different styles such as surface maps for MKD and maybe making some Solaris VII maps for MechWarrior!

Comments