There is a problem with the Wilbur site

Someone contacted me on my own site saying that the link in one of my tutorials to the Wilbur site ( http://www.ridgenet.net/~jslayton/wilbur.html ) was a dead link. I've tried to go there for a few days and it appears to still have a DNS entry but it times out every time I try to go there.

I realize this isn't exactly a profantasy issue, but I thought it was the most direct way of letting jslayton know.

Comments

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    edited January 2015
    The ISP appears to have suffered some sort of serious technical issue while the person in charge is out on vacation or otherwise unwilling/unable to fix it. I'll get around to finding a different web host Real Soon Now if it doesn't spring back to life. I've had that one for almost 20 years now and it's sad to have to toss it aside.
  • I've been with Media Temple for a number of years now and am very pleased with them.
  • 3 months later
    edited May 2015
    Posted By: jslaytonThe ISP appears to have suffered some sort of serious technical issue while the person in charge is out on vacation or otherwise unwilling/unable to fix it. I'll get around to finding a different web host Real Soon Now if it doesn't spring back to life. I've had that one for almost 20 years now and it's sad to have to toss it aside.
    It seems that I haven't done the updates everywhere yet. The ISP in question (Mediacom) showed the hostility and incompetence characteristic of a monopoly cable company and has decided to permanently down the site without notice. http://www.fracterra.com/software.html is the new home for Wilbur. I may even get around to doing something useful with the rest of the site someday.
  • Posted By: jslaytonIt seems that I haven't done the updates everywhere yet. The ISP in question (Mediacom) showed the hostility and incompetence characteristic of a monopoly cable company and has decided to permanently down the site without notice. http://www.fracterra.com/software.html is the new home for Wilbur. I may even get around to doing something useful with the rest of the site someday.
    YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!! You are the best!!!!!!! How i created my map, i give the link, then you sow which i make at yours Willbur)))))))))))
  • 1 year later
  • Posted By: jslaytonWilbur can only export data in that format, not import it, sorry.
    may be your,s other programms(FT3) can do it this, or not?)
  • edited August 2016
    Posted By: jslaytonI do not know of a program that will ingest this data, sorry.

Let me think about this for a little and I will see if I can get the tessellation tool in Wilbur to deal with it. It won't be able to anything with overlapping surfaces, though.
    LON/LAT Text mesh most accurate at all format. So i used him in Terrain Builder Arma 3(Bohemia Interactive Studio), this proramm used LON/LAT Text mesh, and can import-export this format. I wonna use Willbur and Terrain Builder Arma 3, this programms made for each other) 95% work at terrain i do in Willbur, and 5% in Terrain Builder Arma 3. And i wonna possibility at import LON/LAT Text mesh format in Willbur!
  • edited August 2016
    Posted By: jslaytonI added the ability for the tessellate tool to import the lat/lon mesh format. The import is done in this way because the lat/lon mesh is an unstructured blob of points unrelated to the underlying height field used in Wilbur and the tessellate tool supports such a thing.

Open the tessellate tool via Window>>Tessellation Tool.
    Use File>>Load on the tessellate dialog to load your XYZ file into the tessellation mesh. I don't know how well this tool will handle huge (e.g. 2048x2048 or larger) meshes and the triangle splits will appear random.
    Adjust the map boundaries using Surface>>Map to match the boundaries on your input mesh.
    Click the Generate button on the Tessellation dialog to convert the input mesh into the Wilbur height field.

Note that there does appear to be an installer problem at the moment that shows the version to be installed as 1.83, but the About dialog in the main program should verify that it's version 1.84.
    Thanks a lot, but this version 1.84(32x and 64x) don't work, windows 7 sad me error (missing mfc140.dll).
  • edited August 2016
    Posted By: jslayton
    Posted By: Kolonist
    Posted By: jslaytonI added the ability for the tessellate tool to import the lat/lon mesh format. The import is done in this way because the lat/lon mesh is an unstructured blob of points unrelated to the underlying height field used in Wilbur and the tessellate tool supports such a thing.

Open the tessellate tool via Window>>Tessellation Tool.
    Use File>>Load on the tessellate dialog to load your XYZ file into the tessellation mesh. I don't know how well this tool will handle huge (e.g. 2048x2048 or larger) meshes and the triangle splits will appear random.
    Adjust the map boundaries using Surface>>Map to match the boundaries on your input mesh.
    Click the Generate button on the Tessellation dialog to convert the input mesh into the Wilbur height field.

Note that there does appear to be an installer problem at the moment that shows the version to be installed as 1.83, but the About dialog in the main program should verify that it's version 1.84.
    Thanks a lot, but this version 1.84(32x and 64x) don't work, windows 7 sad me error (missing mfc140.dll).
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=52982 and it will work.
    MR. Slayton, Wilbur it work, but this function not work. I make sample 128*128, and make XYZ file. After i make new clear map 128*128, and import XYZ file, after push button generate, but 1st map dont create, i dont know why dont work.
    edited August 2016
    This sort of thing probably isn't best handled in public on the ProFantasy forums. Please contact me at the Wilbur support address listed in the About dialog or possibly at the Cartographer's Guild website.
  • Posted By: jslaytonThis sort of thing probably isn't best handled in public on the ProFantasy forums. Please contact me at the Wilbur support address listed in the About dialog or possibly at the Cartographer's Guild website.
    MR. Slayton, nickname waldronate is you?
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited August 2016
    @ Kolonist: I have been suspecting this myself for a little while now, because waldronate knows a heck of a lot about PF software... but if waldronate isn't jslayton, then jslayton is probably wondering what you are talking about right now, but don't worry.

EDIT: He's got to be called something other than jslayton, because there isn't a jslayton on CG. I've just checked ;)
  • VintyriVintyri Newcomer
    Posted By: Loopysue@ Kolonist: I have been suspecting this myself for a little while now, because waldronate knows a heck of a lot about PF software... but if waldronateisn't jslayton, then jslayton is probably wondering what you are talking about right now ;)
    But waldronate is Joe Slayton.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    There you go then. Mystery solved :)
  • Speaking of Joe Slayton ...

Would you perchance be the J Slayton who's name was mentioned in one of the latest "Save or Die" podcasts?
    I do not know what a "Save or Die" podcast is, so I have no way to tell.

Waldronate was a name I picked out nowhere to be a disposable e-mail account for use with a game design course that I took nigh on 20 year ago (I ended up teaching a lesson on graphics hardware during that course and then proceeded to get my own material wrong on a test because I accidentally drew an incorrect box on the board while I was teaching and the teacher put all of that on the test).
  • I can confirm the missing dll problem with Windows 7 and 1.84. I just tried the new 1.84 on my 32 bit Windows 7 laptop and got the missing dll error.

I did find out how to fix the problem.

You need to install Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 to run it.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145

The download page gives a 32 bit and 64 bit version so make sure you install the correct one.

Make sure you have this installed if you update to the 1.84.

After I installed it the program ran with no problems.
  • 3 years later
  • Posted By: jslaytonWilbur can only export data in that format, not import it, sorry.
    This is map created in Willbur))))) Wilbur is a BEST programm for terraforming!!!!!!!
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Well, that's certainly a unique use of Wilbur. It is cool seeing software being used for something completely different than what I am accustomed to.

I have to admit, I initially thought your comment was spam, as it linked to a Russian video game video which didn't really seem to have much to do with Wilbut, but re-reading the thread I realized what you were doing here.

I assume that it is only the terrain itself that comes from Wilbur, you've done a lot of work int he Arma editor to add all the buildings, infrastructure and such to the map, but it is still cool.