How to get a good coastline export to CC3 from Fractal Terrains

I have recently installed the demo of Fractal Terrains 3, and am trying to test out exporting of a world to a CC3 file, but I can't get a usable map. Here's what I've done:

1. I changed the world's colors to CC23
2. I chose File->Save Campaign Cartographer File
3. I chose the Coastline Only
4. I chose Export World

When I open the exported map in CC3, the world map is very small, and is one color for land, one color for water, and has no detail for the coastlines (simple polygons).

The Profantasy site says that the FT demo is *identical* to the full software, except that it expires in 14 days. Is the export not as good in the demo, or am I doing anything wrong?

I tried watching some demos on YouTube, but they use an older version (FT Pro), and it has more of the export settings than what the demo has. (the tutorial uses one called Europe, but I don't have that).

I've attached the fcw file that the export created.

Comments

• I feel your pain. I was just trying to get all this figured out today. From what I can tell the coastline export is altitude only with a single contour at 0 ft elevation. It's going to spit out an image that's just like what you described. I think I remember seeing a way to have it spit out different colors but someone smarter than me is going to have to tell you how to do that. You are also correct that it looses some granularity once it moves to cc3. It seems that people export "views" from ft3 or export multiple maps with some sort of hyperlink functionality (squarely in the realm of dark magic for me).

Here's what I did. I made a view of the area I cared about (my players probably won't explore the whole world) and exported that as coastlines. Once I got it to cc3 I added a sea layer and edited the coastline to a land sheet and filled it with a base terrain. Now I'm just going through and populating the most meaningful of the biomes. I have another post (my only other post ever) that explains how. I literally figured it out today. There are smarter more experienced people here that can probably guide you better than I. Empathy just moved me I guess.

l

btw, the demo is an older version. i don't think there's a Europe export anymore. you can customize an export to pretty much look like it though. just drop the contour lines.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    edited December 2014
    Can you tell me where the website says that the demo is identical except for the expiration - that is not true anymore and I need to correct it. Instead, the demo is limited in its export quality, you'll get a high detail and quality export into CC3 from the full version.

EDIT: Ah, I see it's in the email with the link. I'll update that.
  • Thanks! That's what I wanted to know.

I think it might be good if you have the demo's exported map have a text field on it that explains the full version will have higher detail. That would eliminate all confusion.