[Feature Suggestion] Random Street wish - distance from edge

The random street feature is great, but I do have one suggestion for a change or addition to it. I haven't seen this addressed anywhere so if I'm repeating anything, I'm sorry.

The option to set the Distance from Center of Road is nice. But it seems to me that setting the distance from the EDGE of the road would be better. Designing towns with varying street widths, you have to change this setting for each width that you are working with. CD already knows the street width,so telling it how far from the street the buildings should be seems much more logical and would prevent users from having to alter the setting whenever they are working on different streets.

Assume, for instance, that I want all buildings right along the street edge, or that I want to give a 10-foot path for pedestrians. I'd just set the defined Street Option to either 0 (zero) or 10, respectively, and it would correctly offset the buildings from the street by the desired amount regardless of street width.

Right now, since it's based on street center, if you define a setting for narrow streets and then apply to a wide one without changes, your buildings end up in the street itself, or conversely they are set too far back from the street. Changing is simple, but not having to change the setting at all would be nicer.

Thanks,
Michael

Comments

• 12 days later
  • This would be useful. What I'd like to see is intersection protection. When I zip a bunch of buildings from one end of a street to the other, all of the cross streets are blocked by buildings following the street I'm working with. If I do two crossing streets, the intersection is blocked on all four sides, and I have to clean it up by hand and often draw some onew ones in. It'd be an enormous time-saver for me if the random street drawing paid attention not just to the street being drawn on but also any streets it touched along the way, so the streets all remain clear when they're lined with buildings.

Though, I imagine, that's a non-trivial bit of additional programming.