Hex map of Spanish Netherlands?

I had been working on a campaign map for a wargaming campaign, until my computer died...as in kaput...a year ago. As I want to get this campaign going, I want to start creating a new map, but not from scratch, if at all possible.

So, I am now looking for a hex map of the early 18th century United Provinces, Spanish Netherlands, and the surrounding environs east into, what was then, several German principalities, and south into Northeastern France. Also, the area covered by modern Luxembourg would need to be present.

Ideally, 1 hex would equal two miles, but if that doesn't exist, then i will have to make do.

Thus, I am asking for you kind folks if you have any knowledge if whether such a map exists and where I might find it? This could be a wargaming map from Avalon Hill or SPI, all the way to a modern wargaming map similar to what was done for Poland in Twilight 2000.

While I do not hold out much hope, I thought I would check here before reinventing the wheel.

Comments

• There was an obscure one without much detail for an old SPI? game I remember some 30 years ago. It was pretty pathetic if I recall & covered a bigger area than you might want.

It actually would be fairly easy to knock a proper map to fit your needs out in an evening. Go for it! CC3 is a brilliant tool to use.

Skal,
    Sven
  • Sven,

The problem is not so much the map, but the locations of the villages, towns, cities, and rivers in approximation to each other.

There have been some Strategy and Tactics (a wargame magazine) paper maps over the years and I am hoping someone has done a map of that region.

My plan is to overlay a hex map at 1 hex = 2 miles onto a geographical map that shows the mountains, forests, and coastline.

I'd like to get this fairly accurate, although it does not have to be 100% as I would have to resort to rounding the distances to 2 mile increments.

I suppose I could use a 1:250,000 map of the region, and overlay a 1/4" hex transparency to figure it out...but then I need that 1:250,000 map. The university where I teach has a nice map section in the library, but they have nothing at all useful to me, unfortunately.
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    edited December 2014
  • Yes. Although that is a fine map, there is not enough terrain detail and the scale is too far off from what I am looking for.

The U.S. AMS maps from the 40s and 50s would be perfect, although I would need about a dozen of them for the area I am looking at. Unfortunately, the university library here doesn't have a set of those. Hence, I am hoping there is a wargaming map that someone knows of and that I can acquire.
  • seraphim_72seraphim_72 Newcomer
    edited December 2014
    You mean like these maps? That collection of maps (that that is the key to) is located here: http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/ams/western_europe/
  • khornishmankhornishman Newcomer
    edited December 2014
    Those are 1:250000 maps that I am referring to, as my fall back. My local library does not have those in print and my attempts to print them....failed as they were unreadable.

If the WWII Interactive Atlas covers this region to that degree, and if I can export that to CC3 (neither detail is known to me) then it might be enough for me to work with.

However,

My query, and hope, is that someone knows of an already existing hex map, suitable for that scale, of the same region.

I know there are hex maps that are more like 1:1000000 and 1:1500000, but those lose the details and lack sufficient space for the towns and smaller cities.