Geomorph maps for large dungeons ?

Ah, here we go again... :-)

But seriously, I have been thinking of making Dwarf Home, a former dwarf fortress deep underground on Crestar, into a series of geomorph maps. With some monster strong holds, but otherwise the maps change and move.

So I would have to make say 600' x 400' dungeon maps with exit/entrance corridors at the same location on each map, but otherwise I could more make things changable.

What do you think ? And, should the maps move after the characters leave and go back to town ? Or as they try to exit ?

Thanks !

Comments

• 9 days later
  • Jim,

Random dungeon layouts have a real OD&D feel to them but how do you explain the malleability of dungeon terrain? If you come up with a believable explanation - rockfalls, teleporters, slides, new construction, *magic* - then I say go for it! (I'd allow for on the spot decisions about changing the dungeon once they're in it - if they've been badly beaten up they may be in no shape to deal with a completely new landscape. Of course, that edge of terror might make that particular crawl all the more memorable!)
  • The old Dwarf Home had a few movable corridors and several teleporters. Dwarf Home is very large, square miles of rooms on some levels.

I'm still working on ideas for the Dwarf Home re-do, this is just one of them.